Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie reels

I am looking into my first crappiei rod and reel I have no clue what I have a pinnacle ultra balance with 6 lbs test but I am wanting another some time down the road and don't know where to start should I go with a zebco micro cast or a spinning reel I have looked at a abu garcia cardinal 101 but I am not sure. And I have no clue on what type of rod should like what type of action and what length should I go with. I am sorry for all the question. But I am very new to crappie fishing thanks

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most folks find a medium to Ultra light action rod, from 4'6" to 7 feet very versatile when learning the ropes. Rods are made up to and over 16' but we're talking about starting out. As far as a reel goes, it doesn't have to be very expensive as it's job is mostly as a line holder. I prefer spinning reels as I don't care for the drag systems on most of the closed face that I've handled. I have a few Diawa Sweepfire reels that cost a whopping $12 in the store and work just fine. A 1500 or 2000 series reel will have a smoother drag and a more open memory loop and be easier to cast. Whatever reel you get, loosen the drag when you're done for the day and the drag washers won't compress. This will keep even the cheaper reels giving drag nice and smooth for years to come. I have some low end Shimano reels that are close to, and some over 10 yrs old that still work good. Welcome from Midle Tennessee.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

How will you be fishing with it, casting- spider rigging- tight lining? What is the max you would like to spend on the rod and reel? Let us know these things and we can give you some good suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

I use Pflueger President spinning reels, have been for years, they are a little more expensive 39.00-49.00 (depending on the sale),for the ultra lite. They do cost more, but will last a lifetime if maintained properly. The multi ball bearings 7, make for a smooth retrieve and casting the smallest jig seems effortless.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a 6' - 7' ultra light rod. BPS has their "Micro Spin" rods at a very reasonable price. Decent rods to start with for sure. I have 2 Cardinal 101 reels and I love them. Good drag and dependable reels at a good price.

Edit: I'd recommend 4# test line vs. the 6# test. Just an opinion.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to be casting jigs a lot I would get a 7' ML or L rod. The extra length makes it much easier to cast the light lures we tend to use. Make sure the rod has enough backbone in the lower half to fight a good sized fish but soft enough tip to be able to whip those little baits out there a nice distance. The softer tip will also allow some give when a crappie tries to surge away from you after realizing he is hooked and has less tendency to tear their mouths letting them get away. I bought a Fenwick Elite 7' ML a few weeks ago and it is the best feeling crappie rod I have had in my hand to date. I like it so much I am going to go back to the store and see if they still have the other one that was left on the rack and buy it too. For reels I like Pflueger and Shimano but I feel I get a little better value out of Pflueger. I like the President model 6725. It will hold a good amount of 4-6 lb test but is still small and light enough to nicely balance out those lighter rods. It also has a very smooth drag system which I find quite beneficial when fighting larger crappie or the occasional bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much will be casting jigs and maybe some tightline I have looked at the abu garcia Cardinal 101 and the 102 my buget is really tight right now and the abu garcia is about my limit right now thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've become a fan of Eagle Claw rods and reels. Good quality at a very reasonable price. You can get the 6'6" Powerlite Light rod for $37 on amazon.com and a GUN-20 reel for about $35. Put some 4lb line on it and you're good to go for all kinds of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like most said here, a 6'6" to 7' ultra light to med. light rod will suffice...I am partial to Shimano Siennas- 1000 to 2500 sizes.....VERY resonable and with care, they will last.The 1000 holds a mile of line compared to other reels that size.

Post Thanks / Like

Every fisherman has an opinion about the best Rod and Reel to begin with. I have found that you will have less trouble and therefore have more fun Crappie Fishing if you begin with a good quality U.L. Rod from 6 1/2 to 7' long. I prefer the G-Lumus 721 Rod. Save your money, because this rod will run you $225.00, but is is well worth it. When casting, always stay with a one-piece rod. Two piece rods will fly apart when casting all day.

While the reel is important, the mid-range reels work very well and here is where you can save some money. I like the Shimano Symetre 1000FJ Reel spooled with 2 or 4 lb line, nothing heavier. I prefer Maxima Green Monofilament Line because the lakes I fish out here ( Southern California) are green on the bottom.

I do not buy ultra-light reels with small spools. The line tends to coil comin off the spool and causes numerous problem when fishing.

Hope this helps,

Lightlinejohn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast