Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nanofil Update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nanofil Update

OK, here's my latest up-date on the 2# test Nanofil. I've used it now for over a month, fairly steady, casting small jigs for several hours, two or three times a week. I figured on trying a leader of 2# test mono and 4# test fluorocarbon, to see which worked best. I connected both types of leaders using the Alberto knot, the Albright and the double UNI with 4 turns on each side.

I regret having to say that this particular test line has been a very big disappointment to me. I broke the connect many times, regardless of how careful I tied the various knots (spent a lot of time on this!). The worse was the 4# test fluorocarbon for breakage. Now it does take some "learning" to use this new Nanofil. With ZERO stretch, if you try to set the hook at all, you loose a jig - period! It breaks either at the leader joint, or at the jig if you tie direct (which I tried on equally as many trips as well).

Tying direct to your jig is probably the best way to go with Nanofil (of this test rating). In the stained water ponds around here, I caught plenty of crappie, yellows and small largemouths without a leader. It's just that if you want to try multiple jigs, I figured a mono leader would be better. I have to say, on the plus side, I've never had a line of this test rating, that casts as far, or smoother, than the Nanofil (when tying direct to the jig). All the leader knots I used interfered with the cast distance on the 7' B n' M rod I used. Regardless of whether or not I used a leader with this 2# test Nanofil - and regardless of how careful I was with hooksets - I lost more jigs than I ever have with straight 2# test monofilament line.

Sadly, yesterday I stripped off all the 2# Nanofil from two UL rigs I use for crappie; replacing it with 2# Trilene Clear. I've used the Trilene for almost 30 years now, for trout and panfish, with excellent results. And I never really had a need for a more sensitive set-up. But it's always good to try new and supposedly "better" products, right? Ya live and ya learn I guess! Figured some of you might be interested in these results.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting info, thank you!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

The cost was enough to scare me away:D To lose jigs on top of it, would have been heart-breaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information. I know how important it is to test each new line with different knots to see which is the strongest. I was testing all kinds of knots on each line to see which knots to use and I was really amazed at the results. For the most part, I like the uni-knot for almost all applications.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with the leader knots. I use 4#and don"t have any trouble with losing jigs when tied directly to the jig using the double polamar knot(an-o-fil knot). I don't think that the knots break as much as they slip. Nan-o-fl is so slick that the mono or flouro just can"t get a grip on it. I don't have any trouble with slipping when using 10#. I really like 10#the for fishing light splnnerbaits and buzzbaitis.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you troll with it any and did it have line twist? Ive heard conflicting reports on the line twisting. What was yalls experiences?
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the 4# Nanofil, throwing a 1/64th oz. jig tied directly to the line. The first thing I discovered is that this line is not for those of us that can't see well. As the fishing day progressed I noticed that my casting distance had decreased quite a bit. The next thing I noticed was that I began to loose a couple of Jigs. These are not your ordinary Jigs but they are tied by a friend of mine with TLC and are great producers on gills and redear. Broke my heart. I decided it was time to examine the line more closely. Upon close examination of the line it appeared to be frayed. When looking at the spool there appeared to be, for lack of a better term, little fuss balls all over the spool. I put the pole down and finished the day using my friends rod and reel. When I returned home I put on my magnifying glasses and examined the line very carefully. I was amazed to discover that, to the layman's eye, the line appeared to have areas where the actual strands were becoming unraveled. After they become unraveled they apparently break and wrap around the other fibers causing the appearance of little fuss balls. I talked to Pure Fishing and they said that they have not heard of such an issue but to send them a sample so that they could examine the line, which I did.

In conclusion; I do not think that all the issues with the Nanofil have been resolved to date. It is also almost impossible to tie it to mono as has already been stated and for those of us with decreased vision it just don't GET ER DONE. I wish I could be more informative on what I experienced with this line but I did the best I could on a short notice. IT IS A NO GO FORL ME!!!!!!!!Doh
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER!!!
    I QUIT FISHIN, I ONLY GO CATCHIN NOW!!!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 spools..Both are now on the back burner..Back to Viscous & Sufix..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    That stuff you had could have been used for an anchor rope.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    sounds like you should turn that "back burner" ON.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast