Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelbyville Update?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shelbyville Update?

Heading out to Shelbyville this Monday (putting in at Wolf Creek), and was wondering if anyone has a report on ramp / lake / fishing conditions.

This will be my first time out this season and was wondering what to expect.

Any help is greatly appreciated :D
    mixham

Ride To Work ... Work To Ride

Post Thanks / Like

We have had some big rains lately and it has jumped 2 FEET today and it is still climbing. the north end is blown. I would stay on the main lake, or at least close to the cove mouth. maybe try the main lake drop offs. point 3, the big rock point a mile south or out in front of skull. any place the water ran in is muddy.maybe run up to Eagle and see if the standing timber between the left hand points is clear enough to fish.maybe some main lake laydowns south of 3 on the bluff banks
    jc

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info crappie10. Looks like Monday might be a decent day, weather wise, so I'll check those areas out and report back.
    mixham

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught a good sunburn though ...

Went out yesterday, midmorning to late afternoon. Put in at Wolf Creek (crew was clearing off debris that had floated in). Ran up to Eagle and fished a few of the points/coves on the west side. Only managed two keepers and two dinks, using red/white tube jigs under bobber. Water temps ranged from 53 to 55 degrees. Looked pretty muddy. Wind wasn't helping much either.

Had motor trouble, so couldn't check out any other spots
    Does anyone know if Leprechaun Landing in Wolf Creek State Park is always closed on Mondays? Was looking to get some minnows there, but if they're closed on Monday throughout the season, I guess I can pick some up in Findlay.

Thanks for the reports/tips crappie10

Hope to get again next Monday.
    mixham

Post Thanks / Like

the gas station-bait shop in Findlay always has minnows, so if I need them, I get them there, just to be safe. The Findlay marina has minnows too, but right now they may only be open on weekends. my last trip, I caught 20, only 3 keepers. I marked a bunch of fish that wouldn't bite. my next trip will involve minnows, as bad as I hate to use them this time of year. I will also be spider rigging. I am trying to talk the kids into camping at Eagle this weekend. it seems they caught a bunch at Pana lake when they were supposed to be picking up limbs at the cabin. this water jumping up will scatter them worse than they were. I think I know where they went. we'll see
    jc

Post Thanks / Like

I go by that bait shop on the way to Wolf Creek ramp, so I'll check there next time, thanks. I usually use minnows, but have been trying to learn how to use jigs. Have had some success, but it's going to take a while.

Picking up limbs versus fishing....hmmmm.....

Good fishing to ya!
    mixham

Post Thanks / Like

crappy10: Is spider rigging legal? I understood you could only have two poles with two hooks each. Not trying to start something, just curious.
    United States-Home of the free, because of the BRAVE. (Pray for our troops)

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the law here in Illinois is that you can only troll with 3 lines, 2 on lakes with 2 pole restrictions. So, spider rigging would be illegal in Illinois.

Post Thanks / Like

read the 2006 fishing rules book very closely, especially the part on page 7, top right. page 23,left column CLOSELY
    I didn't say all my rod holders had a rod in them
    BUT, on the other hand, 2 boys plus me equals 9
    dual seat rig up front and my older son in the back
    even with a 2 pole limit makes 6

Post Thanks / Like

I was right, it only took 2 hours to get a limit monday, had 14, I don't keep females this time of year. kept 10 males that are starting to turn dark. I will be glad when I don't have to divide my time between fishing and mushroom hunting.
    no I won't,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast