Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to??????

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to??????

If targeting Black crappie ,do you fish different than for white crappie.Such as fishing ledges vs. brush,deep water vs. shallow ,ect ????????I seem to catch more blacks up in the river areas than lake and they seem thicker than the whites.Just something to talk about.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

On the lake I fish I always seem to catch as many whites as I do blacks and they are always a mixed bag of the two where ever I'm fishing at. I do like fishing stained water though.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats where I'm at,I catch both but wondered at times if there was a way to catch more blacks and I just happen to pick up a few just by chance.And like you I prefer stained water hence fishing the upper ends of lakes almost to the point of turning back into river.Seldom catch any thru the winter but fish lower end of lakes over brush piles at that time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Timing is key to catching big black fish for me i also fish up the creek a good majority of the time and the absolute best time for me up there for the big fish is feb-mar when the water is still cold and a bit clearer than it is the rest of the year,i've also been catching a few nice fish up there recently because the water is a bit clearer and cooler up there than it is anywhere in the area the blacks seem to like the water to be clearer than the white fish.The lower end of the lake in the late fall/winter period is also great because the fish seen to disappear from the creeks and the water is about as clear as it gets on the lower lake we usually have great success shootin docks until the lake freezes over,main lake bluffs,points and rocky areas are always good places to find blacks but it seems like you have to cull through dozens to get a good fish.Don't know if those things will work on your lake but it has served me well over the years.......PS.look extremly shallow in feb-mar you will be suprised how many big black sows will be up the creek chasin shad in shallow water areas.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Pomme alot and I've always heard that they like clearer water but I catch more up the river than out in the main lake,and the blacknose crappie is almost always up the river(thought it may have something to do with running water or something)and I fish a lure called Bud's hellgramite and they seem to like that but there is no set rule on catching them.I'm thinking about going to Ft.Gibson Lake in Ok. and reading on it they claim to have more blacks than whites so was just trying to improve my chances .Thanks for your info,all help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blacks or whites

I am an equal opportunity fisherman......racial profiling is frowned upon.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Would bow to Bugs and others on catching big ones but in general on Truman (1) shallower water July into late fall, prior to that it's a tossup for me (2) harder bottom; rock, ledge, bluffy, etc (3) larger stumps and (4) a more active presentation. I fish for them specifically if wanting to keep a mess, think they eat better and feel am putting less strain on the larger white crappie population which not many agree with but it's my boat and get to do as I please. Felt on other lakes fished in the past; Bull Shoals, Table Rock, Stockton, Lake O that they were the first to move into a seasonal area and stay in an area later into the year. Not so sure on Truman. Don't fish the Pomme much but seems it's a lot different than where I frequent, the Grand and Osage. To me the Tebo fishes more similar to Pomme arm than the other two.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff there Kaz!

There are lakes that the Black Crappie rule (not sure why)? Ft. Gibson in OK. is one of them; thats why I love going there, tons of 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pound blacks; they sure are fun to catch.
    Kevin Rogers-

Post Thanks / Like

Krazy is spot on.... don't be racist.

Post Thanks / Like

I catch more blacks in the creeks than in the rivers. Shallow and stained water seems to be where they like to be. At least that is my experience.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.