Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about baitcasting reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about baitcasting reels

Are baitcasters with line counters okay for casting? Or does the line counter ruin the reel as a caster?

I fish for crappie, perch and the occasional bass. Since I've been fishing from the dock, all my rigs so far are spinning rigs, but I'm curious about baitcasters because folks say you can learn to cast well without getting birdnests, etc. (the other thread about baitcasting really piqued my curiosity!) But I'm also getting into trolling, hence curious about line counters.

Any recommendations for moderately priced (under $100 for rod and reel) baitcasting set-ups?

This is turning out to be an expensive hobby:D

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I've casted my Okuma's and they do OK. I'm not good with any baitcaster reel. I normally just let it free spool the line out to the distance I want. You can pick up some B&M pro trollers and an Okuma line counter reel and have about 70 bucks in it plus or minus a few dollars depending on the length of the rod.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

M R Dux is online now Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

As compared to a regular baitcaster, the Okuma line counters are terrible for casting. I do cast mine on occasion to get a bandit away from the boat at the start of a trolling run but would never consider using it for casting like my other level-winds like Ambassadors or Shimano.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like when you cast them it throws off the line counter as far as I have noticed so we don't do it any more. Just let out line, also you need to notice your line counter each time you use it as it seems to mess up on it's own some time.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I can throw my Okumas out about 45 - 50 feet consistantly but that's about it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Seems like when you cast them it throws off the line counter as far as I have noticed so we don't do it any more. Just let out line, also you need to notice your line counter each time you use it as it seems to mess up on it's own some time.
    I agree.... and I always check to see that its on zero each time before I let my line out
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Okumas would be terrible to try and cast with anything other than a heavy plug. I suspect the Diawa 17 sized Line Counters would be better, but still closer to the terrible side of the spectrum.

If you're wanting to try to cast a jig with a baitcaster, just get a moderately priced magneticly controlled spool and give it a shot. I can tell you though, you're not going to like it. You've got to WANT it to use a baitcaster on anything less than a 1/8 head and a 1/8th head is no picnic. To achieve that you need some serious skill and higher end equipment. I've used baitcasters since I was 10 and I don't have the skill to do what I want to with something that light.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it would be best if I get a baitcaster that is ideal for casting, and not worry about the line counter function. The lake is only 15 feet deep, so my plan for the spinning rigs is to put a bobber stop knot at 5, 10, 15 and 20 feet. Maybe just do the same with the baitcaster.

Any recommendations for a moderately priced baitcasting rig that will cast decently and troll well? (no need for line counter).

Many thanks for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to cast with the line counter. Theyre heavy, big, and cumbersome with the trigger being in a bad location for casting.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.