Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about truman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about truman

We have been fishing down there quiet a few times this year but having a hard time finding the bigger fish. we know they are on the flats and we have hit every visible tree row in the osage arm. The question is what do we need to look for other than tree rows do we need to drop brush, fish points all the flats are littered with stumps but just dont know where to start. Im not asking for any spots just to be pointed in the right direction. Any advise would be greatly appriciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont know about the Osage but on the Grand we caught our bigger fish on cedars with lots of limbs.The hardwood trees produced fish but not as many and not as
    big. Depth was a big factor also,the majority of our fish came from 9-13 fow fishing to the bottom and some would grab it on the way down but most were right off
    the bottom. Hope this helps and good luck.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks any info helps I will keep that in mind

Post Thanks / Like

Bucksaw on the Grand, Berry Bend on the Osage. Summertime, fish the flats and keep on the move (fish 100 trees an hour).

Good luck-
    Kevin Rogers-

Post Thanks / Like

The few times I have done really well during the summer was fishing the trees either right on the channel break or in the channel curves with rock or some other structure present. I believe I caught them around 15 to 18 feet on 30 feet of water. But I primarily just vertical jig or cast over structure.

Post Thanks / Like

As said above I stay on the move and slow down when bigger ones are found. Fish the outside and inside edges of the flats especially isolated cover. Also looking at transitions or something different like ditches or an intersection of creeks and main channel near flats.
    Keep moving, sometimes its a numbers game.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I will give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Once you find the smaller fish, drop your bait down two feet, if that doesnt
    work, two feet more, keep track of the depth. If i can find the smaller fish
    the bigger ones are usually around, just a bit deeper, works for me.

John b.

Post Thanks / Like

Learned stuff from this thread. Keep moving, pay attention to patterns... those two paid off today. I caught a limit and could have kept catching if I didnn't have work to do. See the "Hwy W" thread for particulars.

I hit a ton of trees before I noticed a pattern. They didn't like single trees, but favored clusters. Catch one... go back... catch another.

Keep in mind. I've got a 12' rod in one hand and a skulling paddle in the other so paying attention, holding on to stumps, tying off to stumps, etc. keeps one on their toes.

Post Thanks / Like

Should have mentioned don't be afraid to try the extremes such as shallow, 6 ft or less just off the bottom and deep on the hardwoods on the outside channel edges 18+ FOW, found lots of big ones this year on those patterns. If the wind has been blowing out of the south for several days look for bait fish on the north banks in shallow timber early, should find bigger fish, good luck, Fish-On.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast