Crappie were found in shallow water at a depth of about 6 or 7 ft deep around stickups (submerged brush and submergent vegetation edges). Find some nice shelfs with cover and you can catch some using jigs or minnow. Hot jigs yesterday and the day before were black Bodies with Charturse Tails. Might want to go with a slip bobber rig and some 6lb test line. The water is stained and they don't seem to mind the Ironsilk 6lb test green line or the Stren low Visibilty Green in 6lb test line. I fished with jigs only 1/16oz and use the Southern Pro style jigs (hollow bodies with tentacles)

Water temps at the surface have dropped to about 61 deg F as of yesterday afternoon. The day before the temps were about 63 deg f. We had some cold nights with the air temps dropping down into the low 30's last night so I bet that the surface waters have dropped some more.

Winds were out of the South last week but have switched to out of the North today and it's colder today. Yesterday was windy with wind gusts up to 17mph or more and it was sunny with a high of 70 deg F. All ten of my crappie yesterday were caught near shore in the leeward areas on the North Shore line of Loon Pit.

If you go out on LOON pit be careful as there are some really shallow areas and I saw some rip rap or rocks in the 1ft deep water. I almost got stuck out there a few times.

And reember that it's electric motors only. I saw a few boats out there yesterday running gasoline engines. They will get a ticket if they do that for very long. Thankfully the DNR guys watch these pit and enforce the rules.

At times if the wind kicks up and you are in danger of not getting back then I think that an exception may be made. Sometimes you go out when there is no wind and the wind kicks up to 20 mph and there is not way you can go against the wind even with a 24volt trolling motor. My boat stays home when it's too windy or I head to another lake to fish.

Bottom line is that the crappie are in the shallow water in the afternoons also and not just in the late evening or early mornings. The warm sun must be warming the water and the cool nights are making the water temp ideal for the shallow water fishing.

Bank fishermen are also catching white crappie along the shoreline. Most bank fishermen are using minnows and bobbers setups.