Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: aluminum mold material

Post Thanks / Like

Default aluminum mold material

Does anyone know what type of aluminum the mold makers are using to make the injection molds. I want to think that someone toldme it was airplane grade aluminum or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

6061 is most commonly used in machine shops
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

it seems like that I bought some stock years ago Portland Oregon I don't remember what even bought it from but I'm quite sure that anyone at the mold makers out there so you blanks are you considering about making your own molds it would be hard to do if you have a milling machine the only thing if you're going to make injection mold is getting the to to line up very hard if you don't have a big boy machine to do with I would truly love to make and pour molds using a milling machine I'm sure that they build one that will hook up to your computer I think that would be awesome to design your own plastic baits and make them we did buy some aluminum and pour mold yours ago that you put in the oven and fear the plastic the plastic was a little bit different but it did work quite well I believe it was called beaver dam or something like that or green summer of I tried to contact them but they are no longer in business.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you TAE, i wonder where you can find this material? I will have to do some searching.

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73 View Post
    6061 is most commonly used in machine shops

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought some from McMaster-Carr, just not real cheap if you need a lot just depends on how much you are looking for. Also any local machine shop would have or be able to get you some.

McMaster-Carr
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I found some on line and what I found is not cheap like you said. In order for the mold makers to be making money they must be buying in bulk or have found a good supplier I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the more you buy the cheaper it is, aluminum is one of the more expensive metals to be produced.
    Ted