Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville - 08-05

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville - 08-05

Well, I woke the youngest boy today at 5:23am and headed to Smithville to hopefully catch a few. Rain wasn't supposed to come through until later, so.. we gave it a shot up river @ Three Fingers and I was getting excited cuz after we got settled and started dipping trees (I was using tandem jigs tipped with minnows, he was using a drop shot rig with a minnow) we started catching a couple. Just dinks, but we were just getting warmed up. And I liked watching the young lad handle that 9' pole with very few snags. Fewer than me with my dual jigs!

Anyway, after only being out there a short time, I look to the southwest and see some dark clouds. I figure we got a little time yet, but since the main motor wasn't cooperating and I had to get us there via the trolling motor, I figured I'd keep an eye out. Well, my next check five minutes later the storm was MUCH closer so we headed back in.

We got wet, but no thunder or lightning in this front. Matter of fact, it more or less just blew through and then spit for a while...no real rain anymore, but since we were packed up and stuff, we just called it a day.

Went home and totally pwned my oldest son's brakes and rotors and after lunch thought, I still have minnows left, let's try the afternoon bite! Nobody wanted to go with me so I tried it myself. Same area, different spots.

Skunked.

It happens, I guess. I got out, so that's good. But I'm ready to catch numbers again. Freezer's getting empty!

I guess the front shut 'em down pretty good. *sigh* Oh well. That's Smithville Lake for ya!

Post Thanks / Like

At least you got out there and gave it a shot....that's more than I can say! I've been working around the house for the last month and a 1/2, so haven't even had the boat out! In fact right now I can't take it out coz there's a pile of gravel in front of it waiting to be moved....

Oh well, maybe next week I'll drag it out....

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Joe. You went and took one of your boys, thats as good as it gets.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

Morning or late afternoons seem to be best for me right now.

The Mrs says she is in for a morning outing.......if it ain't raining.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome report joe! really enjoyed reading it! glad ya got out and enjoyed! but remember you don't alway's have to have a partner to go with ya sometimes those are the better trip's kind of like golfing, wen i play by myself i alway's play betterThumbs Up
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I got out for awhile this evening and shortville lived up to its name. We caught alot minnows and jigs both 50 or so with only one eater and a white bass.
    Gonna try again tommorrow.
    Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day; teach someone to fish and you feed them for life.
    Matthew 5:19 "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a rough day, next time you will get them, I think no I know I would trade a fishing day for some rain, gettin dry here