Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 foot rods vs 11 foot??

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 foot rods vs 11 foot??

seems like the choice is a 10-11 foot rod.anyone use the 12 foot rods?what are the likes and dis likes on the 12 foot?

Post Thanks / Like

I have some but I have not used them yet. My plans were to use them for spider rigging. I know after I saw my first 10 foot rod, THANKS BUGMAN!, I thought that people were nuts to use them for crappie fishing in a boat. Now I wouldn't be without one.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 13'ers spider rigging. If youre gonna fish 'em off rod holders I'd say go with the 12's, provided you can haul 'em alright.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what your going to use it for, if your strong in the wrist and can hold a 12 footer to dip,slow troll then go for it, me I like the 10 ft ultra light SS I use the same rods for casting,slow trolling, and spider rigging, I also have a 11 foot sam heaton ss and like it real well, I have a 11 ft outlaw that is great for long line trolling road runners.. so go with what fit your needs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW1960 View Post
    I have some but I have not used them yet. My plans were to use them for spider rigging. I know after I saw my first 10 foot rod, THANKS BUGMAN!, I thought that people were nuts to use them for crappie fishing in a boat. Now I wouldn't be without one.
    yepper's bug's got me hooked on the 10 footer's as wellThumbs Up
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

for dipping it's the longer the better when fishing shallow water, which I do alot, and 12 ft is as long as they come on jig poles without getting heavy, anything longer than a 12 has to be a 3-piece in order to ship practically, there are a few 14ft 2pieces out there but they are designed for trolling, the bucks ultra light with rear reel seat weighs 5 oz at 12 ft, nothing else comes close in that length, and only a few on the market are at 5 oz in an 11. for trolling we go at least 14 up to 16, but we troll a lot of shallow water so not everybody needs that length.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Just depends on how big of an ol boy are ya,the 12's wear on your wrist after awhile so if you are out for the whole day I'd stay with a 10 or a rear seat 11.Early in the spring when the water is high and the fish are back behind the shore bushes,I have used a 16 fter a few times but only in rare cases.

Post Thanks / Like

We use B & M 12 ft dipping rods some & they have good & bad points to them . Dont have the back bone I really like but we can fish with them all day & have no problems.with them getting to heavy...when its windy & using braid line the line seems to wrap around the last two eyelets some which is a bit of a pain....Can feel the lite bites pretty good.
    Last edited by Just Jiggin; 07-28-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use both 10 and 12 ft ozarks for dipping and like them both. The 12 ft seems to have a better backbone but is quiet a bit heavier and not nearly as sensitive as the ten.

Post Thanks / Like

Only reason I jig with a 12ft pole is so I can stand behind a guy with a 11ft pole and fish his spots
    Standing in the Gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast