Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly Rod ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly Rod ?

anyone using Fly Rod's for Crappie fishing , I have three I don't use anymore due to bad shoulder's , am thinking about using them to spider rig off the front one is 9' one is 8' and the other is 7 1/2 Just some idea's .

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiceRocket View Post
    anyone using Fly Rod's for Crappie fishing , I have three I don't use anymore due to bad shoulder's , am thinking about using them to spider rig off the front one is 9' one is 8' and the other is 7 1/2 Just some idea's .
    I've got two that I've used ... hand me downs from my Grandfather (fishing mentor). One's rigged with a spinning reel (in the reel seat) ... the other with a baitcaster (taped on cork handle). Both are 8' long 2pc. B/C outfit has mono ... S/R outfit has Spiderwire 20/6. I've used them mostly for tightline or slipfloat fishing. Haven't used them much, over the last few years, but wouldn't hesitate to put them to use if the situation called for it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

That's all I use single pole jigging. Much lighter and more sensitive than any crappie pole I've found. I prefer the 9' but do have a couple 8 1/2' pole also.
    The sweetest of all sounds is (Get the nets that's a 3 lb'er)

Post Thanks / Like

Fished for about 8 yrs with a flyrod. Used it jigging. Not sure if it'll have the backbone for spider rigging, depending on what type of weight\rig u use. I know all my rigs have at least 1 oz of weight, not to mention roadrunners. So those sensitive fly rods would be under a little load... But you could see the light bites well

Post Thanks / Like

With the shallow water here in Florida I use 1/32, 1/16 The largest jig I use is 1/8. I have yet to fish deeper than 8 FOW in two years.More like 4 to 5 FOW this year with no rain LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Those fly rods should do fine for ya then...

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use one in the fall vertical jigging. Will have to say that a 9 footer is what I like to use the best. I have a old Fiberglass fly rod that I like to longline with. It seems that I have more feel with it and it works well for me for this application.

Try them don't think that you will be disappointed.

Redman

Post Thanks / Like

shallower the water the more they spook and or lockjaw. get length as far away from your TM. in my opinion.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.