Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Do It Mold questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default new Do It Mold questions

I've been buying Do It Molds for a couple of years and have been pleased to be able to use different size hooks. I noticed the new ones at Bass Pro now have the warming chamber on the bottom. Will we still be able to use different hook sizes and for the same weight?

What are the advantages and disadvantages to this warming chamber?

Where can you find molds still made like the old ones?

Someone mentioned Do It Corp doesn't seem to respond to well to suggestions from its customers. Someone else mentioned if the Japanese ever gets in on this, it will drive a lot of these same American companies out of business. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

cant really find a disadvantage on the warming chamber especsiacally if your making jig heads for crappie
    Just Yakin along

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the new molds. The place to buy old molds is e-bay. Do-it is slow to respond to the wishes of customers. If someone was to start making new jig molds they would have all the business they could handle!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Barlows is a good outlet for the molds. I pour the sides a couple of times each to preheat as some of my molds don't have the chamber. Some small mods might be required to use some hooks in certain molds. The mods are best done by someone with some machining skills. You can booger up a $40 mold in a heartbeat.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Bronson

I've posted the same comment about Do it Molds. With the chamber on the bottom you have to watch the size of hooks you try to use. Example before the chamber You could use a size 1 hook in a slot marked for a size 6. Ain't gonna happen no more unless you mod the mold and have the chamber area flattened.

And YES I agree with you about Do-It not giving a crap when you email or call them. You'll also notice that older molds listed Mustad and Eagle Claw hooks, now most of the time all you see is the Eagle Claw hook listed. I've heard on another board that they have some kind of agreement with each other.

There good thing about the chamber is it helps you warm it up. The old style you poured a bunch without hooks to warm the mold up, now with the chamber you can pour the top without hooks and the warming chamber. If you don't pour alot you can also use the chamber to make ingots that will fit in your bottom pour melting pot if that's the kind you use.

The bad part of it is - you can't use a big range of hooks cause there's no space because of the Chamber.

Older Do-its - Ebay where they go for WAY to much or look on Craigs list I have found some good deals - on either of those sites or for that matter anywhere ASK FOR A CLOSEUP PHOTO OF BOTH SIDES OF THE INSIDE OF THE MOLD. If they won't send you one dont' buy it, you can tell if it's been modified or not.

Zeiners, Barlows, Janns, Cabelas, Bas Pro etc. are places to look for Do-It molds. Skeet is absolutely correct on getting molds modified, if you don't know what you're doing leave it alone you can really screw them up.

And if someone does come out in competition with Do-It and listen to foks who pour about how to make a good product and what they want, well I'm sorry Do-It is gonna lose big time.
    Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

take out the grinder and grind down the lip around the chamber, I did it to 5 of mine, it helps a lot to get bigger hooks in. If you need to warm the mold just set it on top of the melter for a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, my name is Jarad Roper and I'm one of Do-It Molds Pro Staff Members. If you have not received the 2010-2011 Do-It Mold catalog call (319) 984-6055 and let them know that you want one. They have new molds, colors, and other stuff. If a mold is rated for a size 6 you can go one size up or on size down. I you want a bigger hook you have to modify the mold.

They have an assortment of hooks. Eagle Claw, Mustad, Gamakatsu, The Sickle hooks and more. Get a catalog, it’s full of great stuff and is better than trying to look on the website. If you have any questions or don’t get an answer from them let me know and I’ll try to help.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Roper Outdoors;1600111]Hey guys, my name is Jarad Roper and I'm one of Do-It Molds Pro Staff Members. QUOTE]

Jarod, have they left the blank molds blank or are they installing a warming chamber in them as well? We understand you can't make everyone happy but it does sound like some people have some legitimate complaints when they don't feel Do It doesn't appear to care what their potential customers want. Just like the molds with the warming chambers, couldn't they have offered with or w/o the chamber.

I've always warmed my mold up by filling each mold without hooks in them and never had a problem. How much better are the jigs going to be when using a warming pot?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry missed one when I posted, they really need to make the eyelet slot a big oval instead of a circle - that way you wouldn't have to modify at all, and changing that souldn't cost them anything

Post Thanks / Like

Several things I agree with here. 1) the one suggestion Fatman makes would really help -I've always just taken the hook with the bigger eye and stuck it in the mold and kept opening an closing it a little harder each time till it would fit. That one step would make it easier to use other hooks right off the bat (maybe this is why they don't do it, so they can sell more molds) Also appreciate the tip about having them send you pictures of both sides of the mold on ebay. Wouldn't have thought to ask.

2) Skeetbum, yep, I've boogered up more than a couple of molds already. Good intentions, bad results. (now useless) -will give Barlow's a try. Have found a few places where you can get a deal on molds, just have to keep looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast