Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cave Run Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cave Run Report

Spent the weekend at Cave Run with the family and got in some Crappie fishingHands Clapping First off if your gonna buy minnows up there I was disapionted to find that all the bait shops only carry one size minnow Crash's Landing had some nice size minnows that actually lived for longer than an hour or two. (just FYI) Got some info up there about Scoots Creek being hot but after hitting some brush piles and cover I couldn't get nothing to hit so I headed out to try some of my other spots. Found them hanging on the ledges of the river channels in 25+ FOW caught some spidder rigging but none of any size; the sun was heating up and I decided to pull cranks and just relax and see what happened. That was a great decision hammered them good size too we caught 32 keepers in 4 hrs ranging from 11oz to just over a pound had a ball. I got some pics on my iphone if I can figue out how to post them I will. I tried night fishing with the green lights but again small fish and some bass new to it so I might not have been in the spot I tried that the first night there and I wasn't on the channel ledge. Water temp was 84 deg and light stain had a real nice green color, had ahold of a nice muskie he waved goodbye when he jumped out of the water about 20 yds behind the boat at least he didn't take my Bandit crank with him. Well thats what I found out good luck and have fun if your heading that way.

Post Thanks / Like

powertroll,

I went to cave run friday morning and trolled cranks all morning but couldnt find lots of big fish, the two biggest we had were nice black crappie and lots of 8 inch white crappie so we didnt keep any to eat. We trolled 300 bandits and caught fish on most passes over a school we marked but no quality really and didnt see any fish or shad on the main river channel much where you caught yours, and this was using a hds 7 with lls 1 so we could see where the bait and fish were. Most fish around 15-17 ft which is right around the thermocline. Anyways glad to get out and first time doing this for crappie had a really good time. Still learning though!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Can't imagine them moving to far yet with the same temps I was at the mouth to the first bend. Maybe try moving on back the river a little; Did any of the big storms hit and dump a lot of water if so maybe the mud line pushed them out a little. planning on getting some time in the middle of this week to get on the water I'll let ya know what I find. I never tried Beever creek either? I got the Humminbird 998csi and there was no doubt the fish were stacked each side of the channel on the brush and trees so if they were there you would have seen them. Good luck and I'll see what I can find. I was trolling 200's and 300's about 50'-100' of line out at 1.8-2 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

i didnt quite make it to mouth of licking. We put in at warix and hit the channel out from there for a bit. Caught most fish on flats out from clay lick. We rode all the way to the dam and marked tons of fish and shad on right side of dam. We went back to mouth of beaver and buck ck. but were just cruising looking for fish. We may try and split through some of the channels on beaver or the licking just dont wanna snag all out bandits in trees. We were using 300's mostly with abt 50-100 ft out depending depth of the water and going around 1.5 mph most the time, may been going too slow and we avoided the standing timber like the plauge!! Lemme know how you do again and Ill do the same. I will add that I have caught some really nice musky past few weeks, a 38 and 41 both nice fish just casting big swimbaits so theyre always fun to tangle with.

Post Thanks / Like

You may think I'm crazy but after about 3 yrs of replacing 5.00$ Bandits because I would lose one everytime I got into brush which never made sense to me cause that is where you have to be to get the CRAPPIE! I put 20lb mono I think it was the Trilene from Walmart but when I hit brush it will (most of the time) pull right threw you jump cause you think you latched into a Muskie (which sometimes you do) but they pull right threw the brush you may have to bend the treble hooks back but what the heck, right. I haven't noticed it effecting the depth that I can tell still seems to run pretty close to the depth chart. Just a thing I tried that seems to work really well for saving money and the Crappie don't seem to mind either buy the way I also always use a black steel leader when on the Cave all the time just in case. The leader doesn't seem to bother the crappie either and I can just switch colors via the snap. Try it let me know if it works for ya also.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 08-01-2011 at 03:21 AM.