Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deer Creek Lake 7/9/11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deer Creek Lake 7/9/11

Made a trip there on Saturday, only 2nd time on the lake. Reminds me of some of the lakes I used to fish in NE Ohio. Clear-cut when it was impounded, a few laydowns from flood control, but mostly stumps and ledges for structure. Caught a ton of whites, 9-10 inch range with only a dozen over 10 inches. If you want to catch a bunch of white keepers in a hurry, the lake is full of them, water clarity is decent right now, and the boat traffic ain't terrible. Just fish the ledges.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring the boat JMK, thanks for the report fished-out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    Made a trip there on Saturday, only 2nd time on the lake. Reminds me of some of the lakes I used to fish in NE Ohio. Clear-cut when it was impounded, a few laydowns from flood control, but mostly stumps and ledges for structure. Caught a ton of whites, 9-10 inch range with only a dozen over 10 inches. If you want to catch a bunch of white keepers in a hurry, the lake is full of them, water clarity is decent right now, and the boat traffic ain't terrible. Just fish the ledges.
    Thanks F/O... We are going on a family vaca there next weekend. Were u just pitching a jig?

Post Thanks / Like

Go in early morning, because columbus pleasure riders flock worse then east fork, 95 % white crappie with a range of 8-9 with a few n the 10 an up. Roadrunners and small cranks work well in eve.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, just pitch a jig or slow troll. Jig retrieval has to be super slow. No trouble at all catching a limit of keepers. You can use a float if you want, but I don't have the patience. Also nabbed a 20" saugeye, a few channels and some decent bluegill (decent to me is anything 7" or better). First time I went, I kept 20 bluegill over 7" and threw everything else back. Bluegill were tougher this time, but I focused on crappie unlike the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Should have a report from here this weekend if it's not 100+ all weekend. Looking forward to fishing a new lake....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmk112 View Post
    Should have a report from here this weekend if it's not 100+ all weekend. Looking forward to fishing a new lake....
    Fished about 2-3 hours Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at Deer Creek and the lake is loaded with keeper crappie. We trolled mainly with non stop action, All white crappies and kept 20-25 each day for the freezer 9.5 - 12".... Fun weekend of fishing and the lodge is nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the boat jmk. We had a great time with limited fishing time. Lots of crappie in that lake. Didn't catch any pigs but the action was good. It was nice to go back to a nice lodge like that when we were done fishing. Wish we could've stayed a week. We had the little nephew reel in almost every fish. He had a ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you had fun. Catching decent black crappie in Canada right now--but haven't found the pigs I've found up here in the past. Lake is changing. Last time here, no gobies. This time, I've caught 9 in two days, hitting baits half their size. Zebra mussel have driven the weed line out to 10'. On the upside, smallmouth have been decent--but nothing over 3 pounds yet.