Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Taking my rod...what do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking my rod...what do you guys think?

So next week I have to be in San Diego again for work and I thought I'd maybe do a little fishing this time, the pole I was thinking of taking is my 6'6" Medium action two piece Ugly Stik (heaviest I have!). If I take my rod in a tube, then I will be charged an extra baggage fee. I was thinking of taking my largest suitcase as it will hold the bottom piece easily, but the top part of the pole will have to be bent pretty far....not as far as a huge fish will bend it, but farther than it would normally be bent if it were attached to it's hookholder and cranked a few times for the car ride to the water.

So if I carefully pack it in clothes and leave it bent in the suitcase, do you guys think it'll be bad for the rod to be like that for 8-12 hours?

As carry-ons I usually take one small daypack with some clothes in case my checked bag gets lost and I have to have my computer with me as well.....so carry on is maxed out. (One carry on and one personal item). I GUESS I could put the pole in the daypack and take it out when I board and hold it....just seems like alot of trouble. I could leave it in the bag but I would be pushing carry-on dimensions with it sticking out

I'm taking minimal tackle with me.....the only other rod I have that is small enough would be my 5'6" Ultra Lite Ugly Stik....but I don't think it, or the two pound line I just strung will hold up at all in the bay.
    Learn to not run from your problems....except when your problems are giant boars.

Post Thanks / Like

You could mail the rod to yourself via UPS/Fedex/USPS. It'll be cheaper than the baggage fee, and you won't have to fool with carrying it to and from the airport. I hear more and more people are doing this to avoid airport hassles.

Post Thanks / Like

thats y i like 2 piece rods. I go down to the gulf every summer and take an 8 foot rod, but break it down first and just carry it in my hand right on the plane. i usually take the reel off and pack it in a bag. makes it easier to carry and stick between the seat while flying.

Post Thanks / Like

deathb4disco is right!....I can't believe I just said that! Lol. Shipping is the way to go these days.
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

"deathb4disco is right!....I can't believe I just said that!"
    RoflRoflRoflRoflRoflRoflRoflRoflRofl

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MePreach View Post
    deathb4disco is right!
    You had to admit it. Resistance is futile.