Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Grand Lake 7-3-11

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Grand Lake 7-3-11

Spent Friday 7/1 and Sunday 7/3 at GLSM. Was pleasantly surprised that the water wasn't as scummy as last year. No foul oder as there hadn't been an algae bloom apparently...... Fishing was tough for crappies. Caught one in our normal spot that was 8-9" but blanked the rest of the time. Did catch several largemouth bass but mainly little guys. As a group we pulled a dozen bass over the weekend. Hope the Alum treatment continues to keep algae from blooming!Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Went up to GLSM for the Lake Festival, love the Amphicar drive in!Hands Clapping Took the toon over to Lake Shore drive and was sure that we'd be able to walk on the scum. Had to believe with the hot weather, bold sunshine, and no rain that the algae would be super thick...... Wasn't at all. July 4th '10 the lake stunk, nasty odor, nasty color, looked like someone spilled paint on the surface. Water was green but not gross, not even close to being like last year. The Alum has certainly kept it from going nuclear! We even went swimming on Saturday afternoon.

Tried fishing Saturday morning. Started at 6 am from the bank and wasn't getting any bites on my crappie tube. So switched to a small black spinner and still nothing. But was pleasantly surprised at the water clarity in the channel. Could see down 8-10 inches. That's abnormal for this time of year. Maybe an inch of clarity the other summers but could really see down well. Coming in Friday night from the fireworks, shad were working the channel surface. Even Saturday morning, large schools of shad working or being worked on the surface. In my 3 years up there never seen schools like that. Only down at Brookville have I seen shad school like that. Good to see the bait fish in there but didn't catch a darn thing!

Post Thanks / Like

spooner....what has been done to st marys to keep it from going toxic??

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Beginning in June they treated the middle section of the lake with Alum, (aluminum sulfate I think) that is a binding agent to phosphorus, from all the friggin manure the farmers put on their fields in the watershed. Without the phosphorus or P, the algae hasn't grown as abundantly as the past 2 years. It's only a matter of time before there is a significant bloom which is when all the toxins are released. But so far, crossing my fingers, it seems to have kept the lake from going, as I call it "nuclear". When we were out only saw 2-3 dead catfish and again the shad action was unprecedented. Fish don't have to work too hard to find food.

I wonder if the rough fish removal has had a good impact as well. Can't say carp are my favorite fish any how but again based on the small amount of data, someone had a good idea. :D

Post Thanks / Like

The depth of the lake desperately needs to be lowered, and that is the only long term "fix' to prevent the algae "blooms', unfortunately. At the risk of sounding like have lost my mind (only partially at this point), with the economy in shambles or however is politically correct to put it, can only see 1 unlikely group with the knowledge AND incentive to do so...on a dare, look up "offshore oil drilling' on the web...this will be good...

Post Thanks / Like

Wish they would deepen the lake but that won't get rid of the algae. Getting rid of the farms or reducing the # of farms is the only way to clean the lake up. Sorry but it won't happen!

On the good side at least the lake is usable this year. Hopefully the fall will bring better fishing conditions as well.