Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stockton trolling?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stockton trolling?

A friend and i decided to learn how to troll for crappie up at stockton and pomme. we have been trolling flicker shads and banit 200 series crankbaits with decent success. i question i have is...is trolling like everything else where u have to stay on the fish to know where they are at or if we find a big pocket of fish this time of year do we need to keep trolling that area each time we go??? do summer crappie move often or once they move off the beds do they move into the same places..deep brush, drop offs?? we went thrusday night to stockton at old state park and found all short crappie and short walleye in 20fow should we be moving deeper to find keepers? any help or suggestions would be great!

-thanks hyde
    Remember, We all live down stream!
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles

Post Thanks / Like

I troll in 12 to 15 fow in the mornings, and move to 30 ft of water in the afternoon, I use bandits 300 series, and speed up to 1.8 or 2 mph in the afternoon, I have found fish seem to stay close to the same areas moving couple hundred yards in any direction, the deeper I fish the darker lure I use, brown/orange and black/pink are good on stockton, and plain pink does real well also.

you say you went to stockton at night, I never trolled at night so no help there.

looking for crappie trolling can be a bummer sometimes. but if you find a school of small ones, I think crappie run in size schools, small crappie caught I move to new location, usually in a straight line, looking for creek channels and deep holes close to points and bluff areas.

I use my maps a lot, picking out the creek channels and dropoffs and once I make a plan I stay with it, seems to work, so If you got a map i can tell you some good spots to troll. some up by state park and the big Island up that way, and maze creek area is real good north side east of masters launch point 15 is awsome for walley and crappie, look for the old road or void on the depth finder, bounce the rocks if you can find them, or just tross zig zag till you figure out a pattern they want, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

yea we have been using one of those big folding maps u can buy at wally world or BPS. i said we trolled at night we trolled from 6pm to dark. we trolled a couple of sundays ago and we did find that the fish wanted a slimmer bait like a flicker shap instead of a wider bait like the bandits up by masters.

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of rods do you guys use to troll with and how do you set them up.. went and picked up some 300 bandits today and was going to give it a try next weekend... thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i use an 11ft, and a 7'2" OUTLAW POLE and a 6' wally marshall pole will rod holders along the side of the boat and by buddy uses a tripod rod holder in the front of the boat to troll with

Post Thanks / Like

Still sounds like you had a good time hyde.I am going 2 learn how 2 troll like that 2. Of course that means just buying more fishing gear. Got so much n it now if my boat ever sinks im getting my gear on and going after tackel box.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12 ft,down to 8 ft BnM trolling poles and line counter reels, EZPOLEholders run two out each side, If I can find my phone I think I got a picture I will try to post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great time.Brother-in-law went to cc yesterday evening for awhile and picked up some keepers.Be glad when the 4th is over,ready to get back on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Arkie, me to . let me know when your headed up , I havent been in over a week, getting a bad jerk in my jiggin arm

Post Thanks / Like

from my cell phone,this is kinda how I am set up
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast