Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 15 gallon bait tank aerator

Post Thanks / Like

Default 15 gallon bait tank aerator

anyone know where or what a good aerator pump or what size of pump I could use to keep water aerated
    and also what would I use to feed minnows if I were keeping them for an extend amount of time could I use some of my wife fish food that she uses for her fish tank?

Josh
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh, I have a 30gal clear plastic tote about 10 bucks, I put a dual out put aquarium pump on it and got a filter pump for 100 gal aquarium that takes 2 charcoal filters on it. Have some minnows that have been in there over a month. I never feed them anything. Check your local thrift stores ( goodwill, salvation army ) will find something cheap. Fill what ever you are going to use and get some clorout or what ever they call it from WM if you have to use tap water and let it circulate for a little while before adding minnows after that just add make up water and it does not seem to affect them. Keep them as cool as possible. I'm fortunate to have a shop I can keep mine in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    ... I put a dual out put aquarium pump on it and got a filter pump for 100 gal aquarium that takes 2 charcoal filters on it.
    I agree that a filter is a better option than an aerator. An aerator just puts air into the water. A filter does the same, but it also cleans the water. Your minnows will live much longer if the water is filtered. Just go to Walmart or Petsmart and buy a cheap filter.

Post Thanks / Like

once I get a filter can I take a piece of PVC pipe and extend the intake tube to the bottom of the barrel (probably about 10" ) or will it put to much strain on the filter motor?

Josh
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie josh View Post
    once I get a filter can I take a piece of PVC pipe and extend the intake tube to the bottom of the barrel (probably about 10" ) or will it put to much strain on the filter motor?

Josh
    You shouldn't need to do that. If the filter is built to handle a 15 gallon tank, you'll be OK.