Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt Fork

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salt Fork

Crappie fishing and Salt Fork are rarely mentioned in the same sentence together in all of the forums I read and the people I talk to. On the other hand, it's mentioned more often when it comes to catfish, muskie, and saugeye.

Any opinions on the state of the Crappie fishing in this lake? Have you pulled a limit at SF?

What would you rate it?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a very good crappie lake when the weather and water is right but that is about the story with most lakes in Ohio.

Post Thanks / Like

FORKER........Ive never been there, do you fish it?? whats your take on it??

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

its a very good lake with very good crappie
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

BCC had a very heavy weight in the classic a couple years ago--over 9 pounds for 8 fish. I caught my biggest Ohio black there ever pre-fishing a tournament--but Starvin' said it was a hybrid, so maybe it wasn't, but still a 2 pound fish.

I also saw a picture of a 4 pound plus white (yep--4 pounds+) that the DNR shocked up in a survey about 5 years ago. I talked to the guy who was on the boat, weighed it and took the picture. HUGE fish.

On the other hand, there are a ton of dink whites in there too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    FORKER........Ive never been there, do you fish it?? whats your take on it??
    This year I have the boat and a camper on a private campground around there. I go out almost every weekend and love the lake. I did well fishing the stump bay in the north and the bays around the Ranger Station and RT 22. That was during the spawn and I was pulling 6 to 10 keepers plus a mess of catfish each outing. That was in shallow water of course. I haven't tried any of the structure ODNR put out there yet, but I guess I'm kinda lost after the spawn and trying to figure out which tactics to use and if there is a population in the lake worth chasing. And essentially I want to know what should my success/fail rate be the lake for crappie?

FYI I spoke to to a tournament angler here in Columbus he said the bass fishing is better than the lake gets credit for. He said he has placed well there throwing buzz baits. His big bass there was 4lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any electronics on that boat?.......and I guess, do you use them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemax View Post
    Do you have any electronics on that boat?.......and I guess, do you use them?
    I have a lowrance x-4 pro FF on the TM and a old Eagle at the wheel.

Depth and Temp are good. By no means do I get the nice fish arches and or high detail of bottom structure. I just know from the read out "something" is on the bottom or "something" is suspended. I've saved for something better.
    Last edited by Forker; 06-30-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forker View Post
    This year I have the boat and a camper on a private campground around there. I go out almost every weekend and love the lake. I did well fishing the stump bay in the north and the bays around the Ranger Station and RT 22. That was during the spawn and I was pulling 6 to 10 keepers plus a mess of catfish each outing. That was in shallow water of course. I haven't tried any of the structure ODNR put out there yet, but I guess I'm kinda lost after the spawn and trying to figure out which tactics to use and if there is a population in the lake worth chasing. And essentially I want to know what should my success/fail rate be the lake for crappie?

FYI I spoke to to a tournament angler here in Columbus he said the bass fishing is better than the lake gets credit for. He said he has placed well there throwing buzz baits. His big bass there was 4lbs.
    if its like 99% of the rest of Ohio's lakes (least the ones around my neck of the woods) they should have a good enough population to get them all year round, esp afte reading FISHEDOUT & YATES response.......try different tactics/methods this time of year, you will get them figured.....try targeting the structure you can find w/your units, or try some trolling.....sounds like a nice lake, keep posting, Its nice to read about all different areas of Ohio, have a great one, God bless
    Last edited by jeepguyjames; 06-30-2011 at 03:37 PM.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

This time of year I would be fishing the ledges and points, they have some good ones on that lake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast