Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mark Twain Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain Lake

Wife and I hope to get to Mark Twain next week.
    Never been to the lake so we know nothing about the lake.
    With all the floods are the boat ramps still open?
    I would hate to drive 200 miles and the lake is to high
    Is one area of the lake better for a first timer?
    We hope to fish 2-3 days.
    Thanks for any info

Post Thanks / Like

I was up ther last fri and caught them on the bank. I put in at ramp 107 "it has the best fish cleaning station" and fished shell branch "come out of 107 cove turn left and first big cove on left". Lake level is 609 with normal pool being 606 so thats no problem. Red and chart / chart and black Stop in at southfork resort and they will give you an uptodate report.

Post Thanks / Like

other than the weather not looking to good for this weekend, the lake is (or has been good). I hope to go friday and saturday, but as I said, it's not looking great weather wise.
    "I come from a state that raises corn, cotton, cockleburs and Democrats. Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."- Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post Thanks / Like

when ya goin exactly? I,m gonna be there on sunday and again on memorial weekend. get one of the fishin hot spots maps, the water proof floating ones, the info on those is great and you can get em at wally world, bps, cabellas, or any of the bait shops around twain. like curt said, the 107 ramp is great and centrally located, and the southfork resort/bait shop is on the way. those people there will set ya strait and you can take their info to the bank! I would imagime there will still be some spawning action, but I will be out over deeper water. I like the western arms of the lake, and I look for an area where the main channel swings up next to a rock bluff on the bank.(this is where the map is a savior) find a bluff with some stickups on it.(also marked on map) then fish strait down,(usually about 10ft) with jigs tipped with minners and a crappie nibble. just use your troller to slowly weave in and out of the stick-ups, get right up to the bluffs and also try farther out. change colors and depths untill you figure something out.
    its been a great spring at twain, and the fish are hungry.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope to see you fellers on the water Sat/Sun........ if ya see a Blue Lund with a 150 yammer on the back, holler! As long as the lake doesn't pick up too much rain, I plan on being way up in one of the arms.

Friend went Wednesday......told him to try Indian..........he did and succeeded.

U

Post Thanks / Like

Route U I will be up Fri sat and sun i will look for your boat. I will be in a tracker pro 17 and will most likely launch out of stoutsvill. If your board send a pm and I'll give you my number, not the best cell service up there for my phone. I stay at the other end of U in Goss, come on by for a beer.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

A couple buddies and I went up there Friday and stayed over into Saturday and all caught our limits- some of the bigger ones were caught deep by dipping. I finally started nailing them with a small safety pin spinner and 1/16 oz grub, casting and retrieving close to the bank (mid lake). Others in our group did just as good under a slip float about 30-36 inches deep. Both the deep spots and shallow shore lines would replenish after giving them a rest for 30 minutes or so. I measured a few smaller ones and they were 9.5 inches and up to a few that were close to 12. I caught about 3 times more counting the short fish and bass. Got pelted with rain on Friday, but Saturday was great- forecasts were wrong from what we were told it would do. A lot of the crappie we were catching still had eggs in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report, and congrats on the catching. Sounds like you figured out a pattern and it payed dividends. The wife and I are heading up this weekend, it's our first trip of the year and I can not wait!!!!!! Hope we can find some fish, but if we don't we're still going to have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Good report and good information to help a lot. Keep moving if you ar not finding them, then work the area thoroughly when you catch a couple, normally you might catch 10-15 in one location. vertical, casting or a bobber doesn't matter much as long as you are fishing down about 30 inches. And a few feet from the shoreline. Woody structures was good for us. Fished Saturday and Sunday. Go when you can.