Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plastics......Best and Worst

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastics......Best and Worst

We all have our favorites, I'm sure. I know I get stuck on certain colors.....at times I might go to a couple of sport shows, or one or two tackle stores, and when I go to load my boxes, there will be six different packages from six different stores but only one or two basic color combos....You can find any color in my tackle box as long as you're looking for something with chartreuse on it! :D

But what about the plastics, themselves? I've been using some "Slab Busters" this spring, and I like the size of the body as well as the tail....but I have to say it's one of the worst I've ever used for holding together.....only one or two fish and the bait is so torn up that it won't stay on a jig. I have a bunch in the boat that I may try to glue back together, but I shouldn't have to do that until after a bunch of fish!

Last week I fished with guide Richard Bowling from Bucksaw, and I may have only used one or two jigs the whole time....now this was a different jig...a tube, as opposed to a solid body, but they held up to 50 fish before all of the legs were gone!

So what are your success stories? Have you found a particular style....solid body...curly tail....tube.....or manufacturer, that not only catches fish, but holds together?

I don't think I will buy any more of the Slab Busters until they improve on the toughness of the bait....or maybe I need to learn how to better use super glue?

I guess I'm just curious to hear what's working (or NOT working) for you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much stick to tubes myself. I have always used them and more than likely will continue to do so. I have always thought about using Slab Busters, however after reading this post, maybe I'm glad I never have! Thanks for sharing your information. Now, since I know you are not partial to Slab Busters, do you think they are any better than a plain ole' tube?

Post Thanks / Like

CONFIDENCE!!! In the lure you chose!!
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Bobby Garland 3" slab slay'rs this spring and they have been holding up well, I don't think they would hold up to 50 fish though. The only problem I have with them is the tail tends to stick to the body. I hate the design of these type of baits, I like something with more action like a twisty tail, but I started using them this year and had tremendous success. I got more hits off them then the twisty tails when using a double jig presentation, didn't matter if it was on top or bottom. It took some serious convincing from a local bait shop worker to get me to use them, but now I wouldn't go to the water without them. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I pretty much stick to tubes myself. I have always used them and more than likely will continue to do so. I have always thought about using Slab Busters, however after reading this post, maybe I'm glad I never have! Thanks for sharing your information. Now, since I know you are not partial to Slab Busters, do you think they are any better than a plain ole' tube?
    Matt, I have to agree with what longliner says....confidence is one of the keys...If you feel like your best bite is with tubes, then stay with them....I personally feel that it may have more to do with colors, or the actions of the lure. I may use a curly-tail very early for a super slow presentation, and again when the fish are very aggressive. But in between I like the action of slab buster/slab slayer type lures (altho I don't like the way the tail sticks to the body either!)

I don't want to be a bait "snob"....you know...a guy who will only use a certain manufacturer, or a certain body...and I'm trying to get away from always having on certain colors...but, again, confidence comes into play for me with black/chartreuse or blue/chartreuse....I just KNOW I'll get bit with those on!

Okay, that's a lot of jabberin' to get to answering your question! To me, the color combination is equally as important as the action. So I will pass on the "plain ole' tube",
    but when I find some of the tubes Richard was using with three and four colors mixed in... I may load up on a few of those....

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like the slab buster/slab slayer style baits and want one that will hold up and not get the tail stuck on the hook you should try some of the carrot baits. There are several guys on here that are pouring these baits and selling them. They are a great bait amd made locally. I also have some baits made by MOQwack that have a Bobby Garlond slab slayer body amd a Yum beavertail tail. It has put lots of fish in my boat this spring and should only get better as the water warms up. I still use a lot of the 2" and 3" Garlond baits but sure like the carrots and they are cheaper also. But I would say there is more crappie caught on a 1 1/2" and 2" tubes than all other baits put together each year. Less than $3 a 50 pack and they catch fish. Just wish they made a 2 1/2" or 3" tube as cheap. I have been buying some Midsouth tackle 2 1/2" tubes and like them as well. Rambling now but if you like the slayer/slab buster style give the carrots a try.

Post Thanks / Like

confidence is the key i think, whatever color you feel the best with jared chapman creek has 2 1/2 tube's, that's were i get lot's of mine. hold up really well i think.. 10 for $1.85 i think, 50 for $7.00 i think. not real cheap i guess but once again it's all about confidence and that's wat i feel confident with. shoot it up with a bait pump and you can catch 100 crappie or more on one jig! and the nibble scent stay's in very well, nice not having to jack with putting a nibble on constantly... i dont use slab buster's or slayers or anything with that type of tail for the reason stated earlier. tail constantly get'n stuck on hook or body, but that's just me... just my 2 cent's
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

when using a solid body bait I have been using insert jigs and just push it inside the body or clip the barb off the jighead that holds the body on cause that is what tears the body up on solid bodys.also if you are not changeing colors around a drop of super glue close to the head works great.just don't use too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Learn how to tye. You'll never use plastics again.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

The carrots are great!! Similar profile as the Slab Slayer, but the best part is the tail doesn't stick to the body.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast