Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: smithville wuednesday

Post Thanks / Like

Default smithville wuednesday

It was a gorgeous day on the lake after the rain. My wife and I fished from about 10:30 to 4 and caught about 40 fish. 6 Keepers, keeping only 10" and above.

We worked the rip rap on the west side of the road near Camp Branch, then headed out to the east W bridge roadway and trolled up and down there a few times, from there we hit the east side of the peninsula just south of the island near Camp Branch, then trolled home hitting the east side of the roadway near CB.

As reported earlier, most of the fish we caught we males and most were 8 to 9 inches max. We used chartreuse and black and red and green. The males were shallow, about 3 to 4 feet max. We did catch a couple large females deeper in the 10 foot range or maybe slightly deeper, but we tossed 'em back to help next year's crop.

Everyone was reporting (and I mean everyone, there were a lot of folks out today) that the males who had come in so far have been hit pretty hard. Hence (in their opinion) why there are so many shorties.

I will say we saw a few of those little buggers who we SO black and silver they just looked unreal.

Best of luck all. I won't be able to stop by or look for you this weekend at the camp as I have to travel to Iowa for a graduation and family picnic.

Have fun!

Bruce

PS. Wednesday is more like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I went out from for a few hours and fished some of the same spots ... caught 25-30, maybe 6 keepers ... all on black/red/chartreuse and black/yellow. I had pretty much the same experience you had as far as depth and especially the black/silver fish being unreal.

I did get to see a big walleye (24" minimum) come up 2 feet from bank and grab a 9" crappie .. he had it in his mouth and surfaced about 5 feet out and I'm not sure if the crappie got loose or the walleye saw me and it spooked him, but the crappie got out of his mouth. The crappie wasn't in good shape & flopped on the surface for awhile. I went ahead and put on a large surface minnow lure, hoping to find that walleye .. but no go. Oh well, it was really neat to see and I'm looking forward to some serious Smitty crappie soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report embo. Rhill and I got out last night, fished from 6 - dark in one of the coves north of and close to W ramp on the east side. Kept 9, probably caught twice that total. Found em on jigs with spinners, rooster tails, black/pink and black/chart jigs and minnows, all pretty shallow holding close to laydowns and trees.

Safe travels this weekend up to Iowa.
    Scott - KC Northland

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like alot of fun even if there were alot of skidders. Congrats on a great day of catching.:p
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys. I kept waiting for something other than the crappie to hit. My wife did catch a white bass about 11 inches long.

We saw a couple of guys on the shore who caught bass. One in the 12" range and the other in the 18" range. Obviously the latter kept the green fish.

I think I know the coves you're talking about Kemper. I think. Are you talking the coves to the right once you pass under the W bridge? I also meant to hit sailboat cove and the two or three coves to the south of there, but ran out of time. My wife had to get a haircut and color. Sheesh. On the other hand, she still gives a crap how she looks. Wonder if she says the same about me???

: )

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

We were up north of W but not far. If you're heading north under the bridge, it's about a quarter mile, probably less, up on the right. We ran out of time too...but b/c of light!
    Scott - KC Northland

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scott.

I think I know the cove. I see guys going up on the left now and then, even at full speed. There is NO WAY I'd do that, but I'm very intrigued as to what may lie up there.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Great reports wish I could get up there!!!!
    Congrats on your catches

Post Thanks / Like

embo 9 pm me and i will help you find some fish..charlie
    CHARLIE :D]