Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What can crappie.com do to help with.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What can crappie.com do to help with.

Yes I know I didn't make it to camp (I work 3rd shift and weekends) but here is what I would have tried to talk to other members if I could have went.
    What can we do to help with the conservation and or the betterment for fishing as a hole for the lakes in Missouri? What can we do that would help a kid to get to go fishing? Just brain storming for ideas and putting out feelers for those that might want to do some thing and have the crappie.com communities support.

Post Thanks / Like

I am some what new to the .com so if there are events that we are allready doing than I am sorry and I need to be pointed in the right direction as to where to get involved.

Post Thanks / Like

What I've noticed here in Missouri is that when there is a want need or a desire for something like the camp, shirts, stickers etc. that someone usually will pick up that ball and run with it.
    You mentioned some good things and allot of the members here do their parts as individuals to make our State one of the best fishing in the country.
    As far as CDC putting up $$ ? (I'm not sure what you were asking as far as the .com doing more), I talked to Ed Moes him self and I don't think he is getting really rich from this site. It is a fantastic resource for you to reach others with your ideas, we'll see what anyone else has to say.....
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I think Crappie.com is a great place for us to exchange ideas. And maybe the site can help in some ways, but we Missourians need to look out for our own fishing lakes. I feel the best way to do that is through the MDC. They have the resources (our tax $$), they have the biologists, and they have the control over size and daily limits.

I think they survey each lake and set the appropriate limits, but there may be a way for us to influence them if that's what we want. But you have to remember there are pros and cons to everything that's done....and for every one of us who wants to look to the future of our sport, there may be another person who only cares about the fish he/she can put in the frying pan right now. I know the 9" limit on most lakes is set because the MDC says that by the time a fish has reached that length, it has had a chance to spawn at least once. My own feeling is that the length limit should be put back to 10". Even tho there may not be as many keepers...I don't think a 9" fish has enough meat on it to make it worth taking....it doesn't get "shoulders" until it hits about 10".

The MDC also sets creel limits based on the netting surveys that they do. I think they base the creel limit on how many fish they find and the overall health of the lake...how many shad there are and how quickly the fish grow.

If we want to change things, what are we willing to give up? And we need to ask a biologist what effect the changes would have. For instance, would a 10" length minimum mean there are more big fish in a lake, or would it mean there are more stunted fish due to overcrowding? I remember when Smithville had a 10" minimum length, and it was changed because the fish just weren't growing. They were stunted, I think, because the shad had a problem. In other words, if we asked for change, we want to be sure it is really something that would help. And even if we can't get the MDC to make changes, we could follow some of their recommendations on our own.

I think it's great that the Kansas forum members have a fisheries biologist on their group who answers questions about the health of fish and the fishery at any of their particular lakes. Have we asked anyone from MDC to join our group? I, for one, would welcome that kind of help.

Post Thanks / Like

vic, (and x2c) search for posts by MOfishmgr on this forum. Tons of great info in his posts.

Post Thanks / Like

just spit balling fellas thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You really don't need a .com to help,you can do it individually.Everytime you go fishing,spend 10 minutes picking up trash,take some filets to an elderly neighbor,donate old equiptment to the boy(or girl)scouts.
    I'm blessed(or cursed?)to have 3 grandkids that live with me,all about 5 years apart.As they all got old enough,I would take 1 with a friend fishing when possible,seems like most of the friends come from single parent homes and really never get the chance to get out.Heck,they enjoy just going for a boat ride or just going to the river and throwing rocks and exploring.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on, and have in the past, put out brush piles for crappie.....yes, that helps me a little, but cover like that helps fish of all species....from young shad right up the food chain. Picking up trash and taking kids out with you are both great ideas! Combining them might be even better!