Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jacomo - 5.1.2011

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jacomo - 5.1.2011

Well, after attempting to go out Friday in the wind on Jacomo, and then having the old Sea King eat its impeller before getting out of the No Wake zone, $30 and a couple hours later, I was on the water at 6.30 am, ready for the day.

Surface temp was only 58 degrees, so that should have been a sign, considering it was in the mid 60's Friday afternoon, but I trudged ahead.

After the sun finally came up, I was able to get a couple hits 16' down in a brush pile, and was able to pull a decent 10" out. I hit every "good-looking" bank I could see, but never was able to find them on the spawn. I would fish 3 - 8', then turn around and fish the 8 - 15' range, and hit the deep brush, but never could locate any thing to speak of. I was able to pull a couple dinks and a 9" fish off one of the beaver lodges, but then it started to rain, and then started to sleet... yes, sleet, and I just figured 4 fish in 4 hours just wasn't my rain gear.

But on a good note, I didn't burn the motor up when the impeller went out! :D
    I need my sleep... I need about eight hours a day, and at least ten at night. - Bill Hicks

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a rough weekend of fishing .Good to hear the motor problems weren't too bad.
    It'll get better, better luck next time.
    What year is your Sea King? I have a 1960, I don't use it now, but when I had it running it seemed to be a good ole motor.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

man tough day for sure, 4 fish not to bad for a lousy day. better luck next time

Post Thanks / Like

When I had a "jacomo" boat, I always did my best in Leggitt cove, for crappie. Slow trolling and or drifting almost always paid off. There was always tons of fish there.

Post Thanks / Like

@rugsrme it's a 1981 9.9 hp that Dad bought brand new from Montgomery Wards.. It's been on 4 different boats, and it last was stored for about 4 years before he loaned it to me for my little boat. Pretty reliable little thing. Sat for four years, and it started on the third pull! :D And 30 years later, its only need a few impellers (mostly out of fear, they all looked fairly solid still,) couple sets of spark plugs, a recoil spring, and a fuel pump rebuild (which I later found out was a bad inlet connection at the fuel pump...)

Luckily having a Franz marine in Grandview, who deals mainly in Chrysler outboards, parts have never been an issue to find.

It should continue to serve me well until I can finally finish the '76 Evinrude I have on the motor stand.
    I need my sleep... I need about eight hours a day, and at least ten at night. - Bill Hicks

Post Thanks / Like

@inaboat I have a couple spots in Leggitt cove I stumbled upon while chasing white bass last summer. Last year was my first year of fishing Jacomo.. growing up, we always had a Ranger, so a 150 hp is a tad large for it, and a tad expensive for Longview or Blue Springs. So I'm still learning the land. I'd love to tag around someone who might show me a few tricks I've pretty much spent most of my life on the Osage or Pomme arm of Truman.

Post Thanks / Like

when the males hit the banks at smithville the spawn at jacomo is long over.still good fishin at jacomo just not spawners.

Post Thanks / Like

I,ve fished Jacomo for years and never really had a great luck with the spawn. I do my best when a thermocline is established and the fish school up in large schools just above the thermocline. Trolling or drifting has been my best, besides the deep brushpiles. Last year there was no thermocline and fishing was tougher than normal.

Post Thanks / Like

baller and i have had great success nightstalking jacomo in the summer... bigger fish and lot's of them! iv'e put lot's of time on that lake the last 15 plus year's during the day, tried all the tactic's and have had some moderate success... until baller and i figured out the night pattern, lot's better and ton's of fish, nothing real big but the average of 9-10 incher's much more consistent which is a good crappie for that lake i think
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!