Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: a new lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default a new lake

Hey everyone,
    I have been fishing LOZ on my last days but it is almost three hours away and I can only fish on friday. My question is has anyone ever fished Clearwater Lake it is only about an hour and forty five minutes from my house and might be my best choice. I live about 45mile south west of St. Louis so if anyone has any other suggestions I am open.
    Thanks for the help.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Clearwater has some decent fish, but most of the time they can be hard to catch. If I were going that direction I would drive a few extra miles and go to Wappapello "every" time. Right now everything down here is major flooded, fishing the spawn is totally screwed. Good for the fish, bad for fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Same situation here since we got rid of our place at LOZ,been going to Kincaid. I have fished Clearwater several times over the years and it's always a bust.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    I have never been to Kincaid, hows the fishing there? I find it hard to fish a new lake in just one day, I need about a day to find them lol I guess I am slow. I might just hit the lake at home and see what that brings. I was told the lake at the my subdivision has crappie but I have only caught one, the water is very very clear and I guess I just dont know how to fish clear water. I can put a hurtin on some big blue gill and red ear with crickets there but have never found the crappie. I might throw some minnows at them on friday and see what happens. I will be back at the LOZ on 05-07 around the little Niangua if anyones around I will share a cold one with ya

Post Thanks / Like

45 minutes southwest of St.Louis,should put you close to Union, if you are you , could take 47 North to 70 and take 70 west to 19 and go to Mark Twain Lake, it's about 95 miles. There's nothing wrong with Kinkaid but It's 125 miles from Union ( if you live in that area ) and you would have to buy a Illinois License. Mark Twain has some fine crappie fishing,my last trip my fishin buddy and I caught are limit in about 3 hours and most of the fish where 12". Plus the fact there is no length limit, but your limited to 15 fish. Kinkaid has some big crappie if you know where to look and how to catch ( I don't ) and I beleive they have a 25 limit, not sure of length. I fish Kinkaid in Jan,Feb and March, after that I head to Truman then Mark Twain. There's a lot of good lakes to fish you just have to learn them, and I'm finding CDC is one of the best places to start
    I Don't Know,but I can always use help

Post Thanks / Like

I live south of there in jefferson county, I do like Mark Twain glad to hear you did well there. I will let you all know how it is where ever I go. On the off topic I need to learn how to post a few pics is there a easy way.

Post Thanks / Like

We fished Kincaid for the first time in around 20 years last Thurs (may as well been 1st time) Took us around 1:45 to get there from DeSoto and that was counting getting fuel. Talked with several of the regulars who told us how they fish the place(we were doing it wrong LOL) We caught a lot of shorts, had a nice stringer of keepers plus some short bass that were fun and no one else had caught anything! Guess we'll just keep fishing our way LOL! The length limit there is 9" but we don't keep anything under 10.

Post Thanks / Like

I live near Pacific and fish Mark Twain and Truman mostly,i have fished Clearwater some have done best when its cloudy or fishing with a light at night,if i drive that way i will drive a little farther to wappapello . Council Bluff lake is a small lake not far from potosi has some decent crappie but has outboard size limit. George Winter park also has some decent crappie but gets crowded as weather warms not for weekend fishing,best fishing during week.