Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: western illinois crappie

srtinger full of crappie Guest

Default western illinois crappie

Hello all new to site but love it already. I have been catching some 6" to 10" crappie in the hennepin cannal in western illinois. I have gotten a few on tube jigs but most have come off of a snap bean crank bait with a slow jerk and pause retrive about 3' down around heavy brush. hope this helps the crappie fishermen in western illinois were the water is still cold

Post Thanks / Like

hey stringer....what part of the canal were you on and were you on shore or in a boat? I have thought of trying the canal ever since my daughter lived by the visitors center in Sheffield...thanks for the update.

Talking

I was fishing in a section just up from Geneseo from shore. I'v just been going in little hour trips to get out of the house. but it is easier to get to them from boat.

hotrod99 Guest

Stringer, where are you going on the Hennepin? I live in Coal Valley and make quite a few trips to the hennepin canal by the izaak walton league in Geneseo but only catch crappie and many small bluegill. I'm always looking for good crappie spots. thanks

hey hotrod If you go to the locks just up from izaak walton on the backside of the golf course. and you go up stream on the other side there is allot of tree down. and iv been catching some small fish out of there. It is alot better spot in the summer when it gets in the 90s I get some good fish out of there. But Iv been getting some nice black crappie two tubes up from there. in the brush near the tube. I went there yesterday morning and caught enough for supper. hope this helps:D

hotrod99 Guest

Thanks Stringer, I'll be sure to head out there when the weather gets a little nicer since today it's snowing and icy

I do remember seeing a couple of frontage roads along the canal in that area where people are driving so I'll give that a shot. Thank again.

If I have any luck, I'll keep this updated.