Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: carpoop / Crab?

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default carpoop / Crab?

Hey carpoop whats going on at Crab? I am heading south next weekend and would appriciate a report. Thanks
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Crab has been good. But we just got pounded with rain and its way high and pretty stained so I dont expect it to be normal for a couple of days . By next weekend it will be fine again. Lots of fish but Ive been getting 5 little ones for every good one. Before the rain I was catching them at about 8-10 feet over structure on jigs. They seem to be outdoing minnows. I tie 2 on at once, an eighth ounce on the bottom and a sixteenth on the top about 20 inches apart. They will head shallow to the beaver dams and outside edges of the weeds if we get a warm spell. Water temp now is around 52 in the main lake and a bit warmer in the necks.
    Last edited by CarpPoop; 03-12-2006 at 08:59 PM.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. We have gotten hammered by rain too. Just hope the temps dont turn them off to bad. Forecast shows highs in the 40's next weekend.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

hey carpoop, will this high water affect crappie fishing sat. on crab? are they close to spawn yet?
    Rodger, So.Ill.

Post Thanks / Like

naa, they probably wont be shallow yet. The water is dropping and they hate that if they want to go shallow. They will wait until it is stable before they go in and search for spawing areas. There are many more fish over brushpiles in 8-12 feet. When the water gets back to normal they will move in. Unfortunately we are due for more rain tommorrow. And Friday thru Sunday we are only going to top out in the high 40's temerature wise. So that for sure will keep them deeper. Looks like today is going to be the best day of the week. For once the wind didnt blow much but I had to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking spawn already? Does this lake warm up early? I know its not a deep lake.

Post Thanks / Like

It warms up way early compared to the rest of the lakes around here (besides Egypt, which has a hot water discharge). Its real shallow except for the main lake area. You can usually find some 58-60 degree water in the necks in early april at Crab, sometimes sooner. Crab has always been the first lake to get going in the spring, Devils Kitchen the last.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey CarpPoop, What is the rules and regs on Crab? I have never fished there and would like to give it a try. Is there a motor size or a speed limit? Or a creal limit? I fish Rend almost daily and am wanting to at least try something different sometime.
    Also where would a guy find a lot of structure 10 to 12 feet.

Thanks.
    Scott.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

There are no limits to speak of. No horsepower restriction but there is probably a speed limit but i dont know because i could never break it.