PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp Rage

mike732
03-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I know I should not even be bothered, But, today I sat 15 Mins. while one man blocked a two boat ramp with his truck and trailer in the middle of it and he worked inside his boat tying down rods, putting up net, and just general cleaning while all this time me and two other truck and trailers wait for the ramp.. Wow, I feel better now, after a good venting. Sometimes we just need to gripe to somebody I guess....Thanks for giving me your ear for a few Mins..Mike

fish_detective
03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Mike, everyone needs to vent as I would of felt the same. Some boaters just dont understand or even think about other boaters needs. I am proud that you took a grip and held onto your feelings. I can tell your a true fisherman... Hang in there..

ShilohRed
03-12-2006, 02:54 PM
I had that to happen to me a few weeks. Ago. And lucky me. I got to load my boat back in front of him a few days later.
And I was nice. And held the ramp up for about 20 minutes.( no one else there but us) He did not like it a bit. and even had the nerve to say something. I smiled at him and told him flat out. To kiss my A$$, and I think he got the ideal. Now if he is there he pulls back to the parking lot to do that stuff.
part of me wished he was dumb enough to try somethign. but he did not.

WE have a few ramps that have signs that they will get a ticket if caught doing anything but loading or unloading the boat.

Pete

ceb
03-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Easy solution.....be the first one there. LOL

dockfishin
03-12-2006, 05:25 PM
I have had the same problem a few times. Some folks just don't think very much about anyone but themselves.

Marshrat
03-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I have had that same thing happen to me. My solution was to ask the guy nicely to move and load his boat out of the ramp. He got a little smarta@# with me, so I got in his truck and moved it for him. I almost caused a fight, but the owner of the launch was there and told him not to come back.

Warren

Grumpa
03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
had that happen a few years ago, as the idiot tidied up his boat i was more than a little ticked. after about 15 min. he was ready to leave, i pulled my truck and boat across the ramp, put it in park and decided it was time for my morning meeting on the porcelain throne. when i came back out of the john i got my rods and other items from the back of the truck and placed them in the boat then i pulled up and let the idiot leave. he was more than a little pissed but when I am 6'4" and over 250 he didn't give much lip

slabbandit
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM
This happens a lot on the weekends where I fish. Especially party barges!! Just use a little patience and try not to let it bother you. Most are just inexperienced boaters but I agree there a a few inconsiderate boaters on every lake who just don't care.

belizaire
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM
thats why i go to a launch where you pay your $4.00 get in your boat they launch you and you go when you come back they back your trailer down you load it and you go .

stumpbumpers
03-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I had a guy last year wait for me to put my boat on the trailer. Then he backed in his boat. He unhooked it, but it was still on the trailer. He got in to get it running before he completed the launch. I guess he got real flustered while trying to get it running. He got it started, while I talked to another fellow. We watched him circle around a few times and I guess he was satisfied with the way it was running. We watched as he headed for deeper water and then accross the lake. He had already loaded his fishing stuff in the boat and he never came back, his truck and trailer were still down the ramp when I decided to leave. I know the fellow and he had been in a bad car accident and suffered brain damage from it, so I'm assuming since he never looked back at the ramp, he just forgot. Good thing there weren't much traffic and another ramp.

CatFan
03-12-2006, 09:43 PM
A buddy of my dad's is more forgiving. He will leave these folks a gift that they can use. He got ticked at a guy for doing something similar once, so he went home and got a piece of 3/8" chain and his torch. Through the wheel, around the trailer frame and weld the ends together. No damage to the trailer, but lots of fun.

jk888
03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Just because it is a party barge is no excuse to loading and unloading. I have a 25 foot pontoon that I can load and unload as quick as most any other boat. It could be no experience or in some cases just not caring.

izzysfishin
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
We used to go over to Washinton Mo. to the boat ramp on the Missouri river on Sat. evening to watch the drunks try to load their boats. There is a pretty good cross current there, it was a riot. The city police was there most of the time also, after they banged up their boats and tore up their props some recieved a DUI to boot...izzy

crappiencali
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
I know how you feel, Out here in California all the leasure boaters and skiers take up the entire ramp just to load or unload a stinking jetski. I offer to help them out but they dont like that. LOL

abarkley
03-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I know I should not even be bothered, But, today I sat 15 Mins. while one man blocked a two boat ramp with his truck and trailer in the middle of it and he worked inside his boat tying down rods, putting up net, and just general cleaning while all this time me and two other truck and trailers wait for the ramp.. Wow, I feel better now, after a good venting. Sometimes we just need to gripe to somebody I guess....Thanks for giving me your ear for a few Mins..Mike
the only thing worse than that is getting there in the morning and trying to launch while some idiot is removing tie down straps and transom savers and getting all his stuff ready in the boat while he's backed halfway down the ramp. only to follow this up by launching his boat and leaving it in the way of a one boat launch while he talks to his buddy that just drove up for 10 minutes.

gabowman
03-12-2006, 11:14 PM

Did the thought ever enter your mind to simply and nicely ask him if he'd pull up a little so you guys could go ahead and unload? I think that wouldnt be unreasonable.

deerman4567
03-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Did the thought ever enter your mind to simply and nicely ask him if he'd pull up a little so you guys could go ahead and unload? I think that wouldnt be unreasonable.
When I get my boat back to the ramp and get ready to load it on the trailer I have never had anyone ask me to move up or over or anything else because I have one thing on my mind and that is to get loaded and winched up in a timeley manner and get out of the way so the next guy can load or unload.I do this out of respect not because someone asked me.You can tie stuff down and put on transom stuff on up in the parking lot. Those guys that are waiting on me are just as anxious to get in the water and fish as I was hours before and I will not hold them up...

Crappie Reaper
03-13-2006, 05:36 AM
thats why i go to a launch where you pay your $4.00 get in your boat they launch you and you go when you come back they back your trailer down you load it and you go .

Valet service at the boat ramp? That's enough to make me want to invest in some lake access property and a parking lot (loot).

On another note, I can't help but to offer to help the ijit get his stuff in order, and if he says no, I help him anyway and tell him that he is blocking the ramp for other people by dicking around so much. They don't know whether to be mad or thankful at that point.
Those of us who frequent the ramps regularly can usually launch and load in a matter of less than 2 minutes.
I feel rushed when launching by myself, and there is no place to pull my boat over to the side of the ramp. I find myself pulling the truck out fast, parking and jogging down to the ramp to get my boat out of the way. I also appologize to anyone that has had to wait on me.

gabowman
03-13-2006, 07:51 AM
When I get my boat back to the ramp and get ready to load it on the trailer I have never had anyone ask me to move up or over or anything else because I have one thing on my mind and that is to get loaded and winched up in a timeley manner and get out of the way so the next guy can load or unload.I do this out of respect not because someone asked me.You can tie stuff down and put on transom stuff on up in the parking lot. Those guys that are waiting on me are just as anxious to get in the water and fish as I was hours before and I will not hold them up...

Oh, I totally agree and I always do the same. If I'm launching by myself the truck has to stay on the ramp till I tie the boat to the dock but that doesnt take but another minute. Other than that I'll already have everything ready before I pull on the ramp to launch. All I'm saying is some folks dont think and I dont mind asking them to pull up when they arent thinking. You can do it in a polite manner and no harm is done. I aint one of those folks that will wait instead of saying something and I dont recall making anyone mad. :D

mike732
03-13-2006, 07:54 AM
I guess with me fishing just about everyday, I take for granted being able to get in and out quick. My equipment never leaves the boat until I get home, but as I said, I guess its easier for someone who does it about everyday...Mike

Roberta
03-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Pet peeves are: (1) the guys who put in or remove all their gear while taking up a ramp. I don't care if the ramps aren't busy, but after noon, it's a real disservice to others.
(2) Guys who take up a ramp with their inflatables, car tops or canoes. Here's a clue - you don't need a ramp! One reason we bought a canoe was so we could put in just about anywhere and dodge the ramp traffic. (3) Sailboaters. There is a sailboat club at Acton that holds regattas every weekend. They'll pull all their little sunfishes up onto the ramp and hold a dang MEETING. They also can't control the things and usually let the boat drift around to the end of the dock, blocking two ramps while someone gets the trailer. See those cleats? You us them to tie off the boat, Einstein. - Roberta

badbrad
03-13-2006, 08:48 AM
I agree, you have to chaulk a lot of it up to people who just aren't experienced with proper etiquette on the water. I hate it when people don't dim their headlights while launching, which blinds you while your trying to back down the ramp.

sac-a-lait
03-13-2006, 10:22 AM
If someone leaves me an INCH to get my boat in there...I GO FO IT!!!

If someone's in the middle of the ramp, then one can fit on either side. If they don't like it, I usually explain to them I have 357 reasons why they arn't gonna do a thing about it!!!!

I don't cut in line but will lay on the horn if needed.

Billbob
03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
i launch by my self90 % of the time i have a 4 blade ancor like a river ancor i hook it on the ramp boat slides off i park truck pull boat in gone in less than 2 min.

zappaf19
03-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Add to that is people who can't back a boat down the ramp. Then they start cleaning and so on and on and on.............................

c1bigocarp
03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I like to hit the busy ramps in the middle of the afternoon in the summer and watch people load and unload. It can be quite entertaining. Tempers flare! skegs are ground off, boats are scratched, people fall in. Just take a deep breath and a sigh of relief and be glad it is not you. Enjoy the fun! I even locked my keys in my running truck on the ramp one time and joined in the fun. What a blast!!!!

Moose1am
03-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I do the same thing. It's funny watching some guy yelling at his wife or girlfriend as she tries to back the boat trailer down the launch ramp.

If you really want to make it comfortable just pull up a lawn chair and an umbrella along with some lunch and drinks and watch for a hour or so. It's better than watching the keystone cops at the movies. LOL

I like to hit the busy ramps in the middle of the afternoon in the summer and watch people load and unload. It can be quite entertaining. Tempers flare! skegs are ground off, boats are scratched, people fall in. Just take a deep breath and a sigh of relief and be glad it is not you. Enjoy the fun! I even locked my keys in my running truck on the ramp one time and joined in the fun. What a blast!!!!

Shellback
03-13-2006, 04:31 PM
A guy I know pulls his boat into the launch area, and there's a boat tied up at the dock. Well they aren't there to pull their boat out, just tied up relaxing. So my bud asks if they could move so he could load up, their answer was no way, they weren't leaving till they were ready. Well there is barely enough room for him to sneak his boat in front of them and load up, so he drops his partner off and has him get the truck and trailer and then back it down the ramp. My bud slips in front of the other boat and proceeds to power load his boat, trimming the motor up at the same time. Well he throws a rooster tail of water all over those chumps that wouldn't move, and then has his partner hightail it outta there! Left them looking like drowned rats!

Bones
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Boat ramps are a big pet peeve of mine also. Any fisherman knows though that a single person backing their boat in is going to take a couple of extra minutes and that doesn't bother me at all. I have actually asked if I could back them in while I'm by myself and they usually return the favor. It saves everyone time. The guys that just pull down the middle of a 2 boat ramp kill me though. They need to hit a big parking lot and learn how to back trailors before hitting busy boat ramps.

Hac
03-13-2006, 10:43 PM
I know a older retired fella that could stop ramp problems. At this one ramp there is not much room to manover and park. Tons of jet skis and pleasure boaters using it and leaving little room to put a boat in. Saves them time going up river to the sand bar. I came back in from fishing and saw this older man in a chair laughing. He helped me load my boat and I asked whay he kept laughing. He told me to look at the 4 trucks. It took a min. or two but all 6 tires were flat. He keeps a valve stem remover in his truck just for that purpose. Again he is retired and fishes all the time. He will kindly remove all the air from your vehicle and trailer tires and leave you a note explaining just why he did it. You would be amazed. No one really figured out who does it but I have been unloading when a boater told me not to take too long or do not park to close to the ramp or you will get flat tires. I have used that ramp for 8 years and his program works very well. There is even a note posted on the tree by the ramp now warning of the relationship of bad manor boaters and tire problems.

belizaire
03-13-2006, 10:48 PM
hac thats a good one should have some one like that at every boat launch:D

cody
03-13-2006, 11:05 PM
at the lake i usually fish, i found a gravel road that runs right into the water. i dont think it gets used mush as a ramp. ive only had my jon boat out a few times so until i get the hang of backing the trailer and get a routine down as far as launching my boat...thats where i go. ive never seen anyone else there when i am but i still try to be as quick as i can when loading/unloading my boat. once im more comfortable backing up then i will start using the ramps.

TexFisher
03-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I launch 98 percent of the time by myself, but if there's traffic, I will let other people ahead of me until it begins to slow down. I don't want to hold anyone up, and I usually get in the water soon. Boy, it's nice when you have someone with you to back down the ramp. Maybe I could teach my 7 year old son how to back a rig. LOL

Iamfishing
03-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I know a young man who is very a pleasant fellow. He is a man of few words. He is very direct when he does speak. Couple of years ago he arrived at the boat ramp before daybreak. As he approached the ramp with his truck and boat he noticed that all the moorings were occupied with bass boats. Nary a boat had a fisherman in it. As he got his gear ready at the pre ramp area he noticed 10 guys standing over to the right of the boat ramps huddled in a meeting. He walked over and as expected found that the guys were part of a local bass club. They were laughing and drinking talking about their bass tournament for the day. He politely interrupted them and ask them if one of them would board their boat and pull it off the mooring so he could launch his boat. He was alone. Well the bass club members told him that they were not quite ready to head off but when they were ready to leave they would let him know. Well the young man politely asked them again and they all laughed. The young man walked off not wanting to cause any fuss. He pulled his boat down to the ramp. Got out of his truck walked out on the boat ramp where the 30K bass boats were moored and politely and quietly with his bowie knife cut three of the bass boats moorings and pushed them off into the lake. He returned to his truck, backed his boat into the water and unloaded it. Tied it to the now open mooring spot and parked his truck. As he returned to his boat the bass club members were waiting on him except those that were trying to retrieve their now floating boats. Several of the members circled him and started to cuss him. He politely told them that he was going fishing but if he had too he would kick as many butts as he needed to before he went. He is not a big man but his 220 lbs and 5'10 frame reminds you of a barn door. Wide and hard. He didn't have to kick any butts as the club decided that several of them might not get to fish their tournament if they pushed this young man to action. A lot people, me included, only think what they would do in a situation like this. This young man thinks about it and then does it. You got b......or you don't I suppose.

GRIZZ
03-14-2006, 04:14 AM
I sit here scratching my head debating with myself if I should say something after just reading 4 pages of guys describing how great it is to get the rude guy. I'm not going to point out specifics because they all pretty much have the same theme. Ask first and if they don't cooperate then just be worse than they are so they learn thier lesson.

Being the better man doesn't mean getting the guy better than he got you. It means taking your man pill and doing what is right even if it hurts. It can be an ugly world. People can be wretched jerks. Just remember, you reap what you sow. I want to say more, but I better just shut up.

Kindness is contagious - so is nastiness.

driller
03-14-2006, 06:22 AM
I suppose I am the fortunate one here. There is a launching ramp just across the bay from my home. I just love sittin on my deck watching the idiots over there. In decent weather my bot stays tied at the dock ready to go. When I do take it out of the water, I wait until the ramp is not busy.

I just LOVE it when some klutz puts his boat in the water forgetting that there is a drain plug that needs to be installed before launching--:eek: .(we have all done it) Usually doesnt take too long the guy to figure out why his boat is sinking. Next best one is when the boat wont start because the kill switch is tripped and the guy runs his battery completely flat before the "light bulb comes on in his mind". Running a close 3rd are those that launch boats with the tiedown straps still attached...always good for a laugh..:D . I could probably make "mad money" by getting all the broken rods out of the trash can over there after a busy weekend and selling the guides off them---lots of clumsy guys with big feet and sharp edged doors on vehicles.:rolleyes:

FisherMike
03-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Running a close 3rd are those that launch boats with the tie down straps still attached...always good for a laugh..

It's not so funny.:D :D :D

Spring of last year.

I always launch by myself and how I do it is tie a rope from my front bow cleat to the front of my trailer, unhook the boat, back in until the boat floats off. I then just ease the truck, trailer and boat back to the bank. Get out move the boat over so someone else can use the ramp while I go park.

Well it was a nice morning and people were fishing next to the launch I back in do my thing and the boat won't come off the trailer.:eek: Well mt first thought was, did I forget to unhook my safety chain. So I pull out a little waise and check to see if I did, and the answer was yes. Then I started second guessing myself and thought, well maybe I didn't back in far enough.
I jump back in the truck and back her way out this time and then I realize I forgot to take my tie down strap off.:mad:
Dam it, I said and pull my truck back out and just as I was stepping out, this little black kid about 8 years old who was watching me says. "Hay Mister, is your boat too heavy to float?":o
I gotta say, as dumb as I felt, there was no stopping me from busting up. I started laughing and the other people started laughing it was a ball.:D
When I finally got my boat off the trailer I asked the little dude if he would hold my boat at the bank. He did and when I got down to him I gave him 2 bucks for his help. He sure gave me 2 bucks worth of laughter.
True story.

Bones
03-14-2006, 10:24 AM
:d

Eager Beaver
03-14-2006, 10:32 AM
One thing we all seem to forget is that we all weren't prophcient at backing down the ramps to start with. It takes practice, and most of all a little common sense. A kind word and offer of help, works a lot better than a few obcenitys. There are a few of us that could back a trailer before we tried a boat trailer so had an idea of what we were doing to start with. Just think of your first time at backing an unruly boat trailer done the ramp.

Crappie Reaper
03-14-2006, 12:23 PM
One thing we all seem to forget is that we all weren't prophcient at backing down the ramps to start with. It takes practice, and most of all a little common sense. A kind word and offer of help, works a lot better than a few obcenitys. There are a few of us that could back a trailer before we tried a boat trailer so had an idea of what we were doing to start with. Just think of your first time at backing an unruly boat trailer done the ramp.

Any of us could understand someone having trouble backing a trailer, this post seems to bring up the fact of people who have no clue, or respect for anyone but themselves when it comes to fishing. The same people that take their sweet time on the ramp, are most likely the same ones whos wake just blew you off your anchored spot. It's lack of respect for others that makes me mad. People like that tend to be in their own world, and think nothing of others and their needs.
No one has mentioned those who are having motor problems, and spend an eternity blocking the ramp, trying to play marine mechanic. I can understand someone taking a minute or two when they are having motor problems, but to continue to hold the ramp up while they try to diagnose what the problem is, is just wrong.

crappie10
03-14-2006, 01:11 PM
I will offer to help if the girl is cute. One time, we waited 45 minutes in line to get the boat out, finally getting to the ramp, these 2 fat drunk women started to unload the truck into the boat, something that shoulld have been done 30 min. earlier.after 20 more minutes of trying to get the boat down the ramp, they pulled up JUST enough for me to slip in ahead of them and back down. I threw the boat on and was headed up in 1 minute, as I passed them, the little girl said, why did you butt in line? so I said, because your mother is an idiot.
I felt better, but they didn't care for my answer. another time,this sea captain with the sailor hat and huge boat. was having trouble loading in a bad crosswind. after getting mine out, I offered to help him, by moving his truck to the upwind side of the ramp and was told in no uncertain terms that he had more experience than I did and would be just fine. So, I sat at the top of the ramp for 20 minutes laughing at him while he hit the concrete steps,the ramp, the sand bar and his trailer. When he finally moved the trailer over, he was able to load it. Thats when I asked him where he bought that cool captains hat. I feel sorry for some of them. The guy with the new skiboat that is trying his best to not let his wife and inlaws know that he has NO clue. you want to help them, it's better to just leave them alone. or worse, the old couple that have fished for 60 years and really should sell the boat and not be out alone
a little patience goes a long way
Why can't we all just get along? Rodney King 1994

CatFan
03-14-2006, 01:26 PM
....this post seems to bring up the fact of people who have no clue, or respect for anyone but themselves when it comes to fishing. ...... It's lack of respect for others that makes me mad. People like that tend to be in their own world, and think nothing of others and their needs.

nar·cis·sism ( P ) (närs-szm) also nar·cism (-szm)
n.
Excessive love or admiration of oneself.
A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.

J White
03-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I know it's not easy sometimes, but if you can just take a deep breath
and sit back and watch them, a lot of times it is good entertainment -
especially when they know you're watching them (and seeing all the mishaps
they have) :D I will admit to backing by them when they are in the middle
of a double ramp, backing down right beside them at about 15 mph with
the old diesel tached up against the governor :D they usually get WAY out
of the way next time they see you coming!;)

anchorpuller
03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Summer before last, we had bought a new ski boat. It was a beautiful day and the kids were eager to go tube riding.
We get to the lake, take our time in the parking lot undoing the straps, checking the plug, lifevesting the kids, etc.
Hubby and kids get in the boat and I go back it down the ramp. I've backed trailers from a tender age because of my love for fishing.
I get it in the water about where it should be floating off the trailer. Hubby starts it right up. I guess I should mention here where the ramps (4) are all full of folks that had the same idea we did that day.
Anyway, He throws it in reverse and it just won't go....hmmm.....
I'm watching in the mirror....roll down the window....back down a little further...yell out the window "you sure you took all the straps off!?"
The boat engine revs up again. That pretty boat was bucking like it was in a rodeo, but WOULD NOT come off that trailer. I put the parking brake on, get out and check the winch. Yep.. it's loose..... get back in and back it to the point that the muffler is now bubbling. Hubby revs that pretty new baby up again, it starts buckin' like an ole mule, but WOULD NOT come off that trailer.
By now we have drawn a few bystanders. One really nice young man with these long dreadlocks offers to "help". He gets in the lake and tries to lift the back end of the boat and bounce it off the trailer. By now, I'm sitting in the drivers seat watching in the mirror smokin' a Winston. I know better than to even attempt to get out and help any more.
About then...oh prolly 30 minutes into this ordeal.... I see it....in the mirror.
I jump out and holler in between my loving husband's expletives that HE left the tiedown strap on HIS side! Of course by now the boat is crossways on the trailer and probably not a good idea to just pull it up and take the strap off, so I went swimming. As I head up the ramp to the drivers seat with the strap in my hand, I hear the full roar of the boat engine and turn just in time to see my darling husband do this incredible 360 degree donut at the ramp. All I could do at this point was thank GOD everyone had thier boat out of HIS way! I was mortified embarrassed and afraid his next trick was gonna be to try to jump the freakin docks with it. So... I calmly drove the trailer up and parked it, sat and smoked me another Winston. By the time I walked back down the dock, he had it under control. When I got in the boat and we headed off, I swear those folks CLAPPED for us.
To this day he swears it was on MY side of the boat, I swear it was HIS.
I know one thing, from then on, they were ALL my sides.
Not one person was harmed in the making of this fiasco, and the only obsenities were the ones of the producers. :D

Sam W.
03-14-2006, 09:02 PM
I always try to be just as nice to people as they will let me be.

When I'm launching by myself I feel rushed if I'm in front of someone, so if another boat pulls up, I invite them to go ahead. We'll pass a few friendly words about fishing - and you know what? About 9 times out of 10 one of the fishermen will offer to back my truck down for me.

I'm lucky that our ramps usually aren't crowded, and I've never been delayed for long. I go fishing to relax and have a good time - not to be in a hurry about anything.

gabowman
03-14-2006, 09:19 PM
I know it's not easy sometimes, but if you can just take a deep breath
and sit back and watch them, a lot of times it is good entertainment -
especially when they know you're watching them (and seeing all the mishaps
they have) :D I will admit to backing by them when they are in the middle
of a double ramp, backing down right beside them at about 15 mph with
the old diesel tached up against the governor :D they usually get WAY out
of the way next time they see you coming!;)

LOL. A couple of years ago me and an older friend went to the lake ramp with a grill and a couple of ribeyes just to watch the boats coming in. It was a hoot! We had some good laughs, a great meal and good comradary, and after dark we got in a couple hours of fishing to boot with no rush at the ramp when we got back in.

SkyChimp
03-14-2006, 09:41 PM
I had a guy last year wait for me to put my boat on the trailer. Then he backed in his boat. He unhooked it, but it was still on the trailer. He got in to get it running before he completed the launch. I guess he got real flustered while trying to get it running. He got it started, while I talked to another fellow. We watched him circle around a few times and I guess he was satisfied with the way it was running. We watched as he headed for deeper water and then accross the lake. He had already loaded his fishing stuff in the boat and he never came back, his truck and trailer were still down the ramp when I decided to leave. I know the fellow and he had been in a bad car accident and suffered brain damage from it, so I'm assuming since he never looked back at the ramp, he just forgot. Good thing there weren't much traffic and another ramp.

You shoulda drove off and parked it somewhere with a for-sale sign in it.

stumpbumpers
03-14-2006, 10:20 PM
No, I should have driven back to his house and parked it in his driveway. He lives less than a mile, straight shot from the ramp. He'd still be scratch'n his head and I'd still be laugh'n. Darn, wish I would've thought of it then. Problem is I didn't have one of my friends there to help steer me in the wrong direction:eek: , but your idea just sparked a little devience;) bad, bad, bad...:rolleyes: :D

pstone
03-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I unload my boat by myself most of the time, and i can do it in under a min. I don't let people launch ahead of me, but I don't mess around at the ramp either.

wrwest
03-30-2006, 12:22 AM
I have to agree with Izzy, Watching the drunks load their boat after a weekend out on the water drinking is really entertaining.

dmbutler47
03-30-2006, 12:43 AM
i was ready to load the johnboat in the truck, yes the truck not the trailer. some hillbillys were having trouble loading their boat but had quite the smirk when i pulled up to the ramp with my johnboat and trolling motor, while they were snickering at me i backed my truck right down to the water pulled the boat up and threw it in the back of the truck and tied it down, in the mean time they had run the boat into the trailer and backed the trailer off the ramp. I was loaded and ready in 2 minutes, i sat there with a smug smile and drank a beer while they had to wade out and lift their trailer....karma is a b*tch sometimes!!!!

LYNYRD
03-30-2006, 04:06 AM
This has been a pretty good read, we all have stories and have all done things at the ramp that in hind-sight looked stupid to others.
I don't know how many duck hunters are on this site but it happens at the ramps during season too. Most duck hunters are pretty quick about getting off the ramp due to the fact of shooting time/sunrise. But of course they still load their boats and park stupid just the same. Fishing is whenever kinda thing for most. I wish more enforcement ( education) was invoked on the ramps and people would know.

Just gotta laugh at somethings a little every once in a while. I am by myself mostly unloading the boat, the boys might be with me but are to young to help. They mostly hold the boat on the bank and throw rocks. But I am gone and off the ramp in just a minute.

Just teach your kids the right way and maybe one day ?

jfraley
03-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I am a considerate man, and I can not stand inconsiderate folks. Call it a petpeve or what ever, but inconsiderate people p*ss me off and cause me blood pressure to go sky high. Sometimes see RED if you know what I mean. Getting p*ssed thinking about it.

Moose1am
03-30-2006, 01:46 PM
People just need to remember to try to be efficent at the ramp especially when other's are waiting in line. Our free time (fishing time) is precious and most guys don't want to waste anytime at the launch ramp.

But we need to remember that not everyone is as good at launching a boat as others.

Beaver is right. A litle help and encouragement helps more than getting p***d at them.

Sometimes the way you say things make a big difference.

I too get a little upset when I see someone pull the boat out of the water and then park on the ramp. They could easily pull the boat out of the way and off the steep part of the ramp and into the parking lot. Why they think that they have to park in the ramp is beyound me. Maybe they think that they have to be there to get the water out of the boat when they pull the drain plug.

People should get everthing ready in the parking lot so that the launch goes faster.

crappiekiller2
03-30-2006, 06:54 PM
People just need to remember to try to be efficent at the ramp especially when other's are waiting in line. Our free time (fishing time) is precious and most guys don't want to waste anytime at the launch ramp.

But we need to remember that not everyone is as good at launching a boat as others.

Beaver is right. A litle help and encouragement helps more than getting pissed at them.

Sometimes the way you say things make a big difference.

I too get a little upset when I see someone pull the boat out of the water and then park on the ramp. They could easily pull the boat out of the way and off the steep part of the ramp and into the parking lot. Why they think that they have to park in the ramp is beyound me. Maybe they think that they have to be there to get the water out of the boat when they pull the drain plus.

People should get everthing ready in the parking lot so that the launch goes faster.
or they park in the rigging lane to clean fish blocking off everyones access to the rest of the parking lot. better off at the far end of the ramp.........

Moose1am
03-30-2006, 07:05 PM
LOL I wish I could have seen that!

That's a good one.

A guy I know pulls his boat into the launch area, and there's a boat tied up at the dock. Well they aren't there to pull their boat out, just tied up relaxing. So my bud asks if they could move so he could load up, their answer was no way, they weren't leaving till they were ready. Well there is barely enough room for him to sneak his boat in front of them and load up, so he drops his partner off and has him get the truck and trailer and then back it down the ramp. My bud slips in front of the other boat and proceeds to power load his boat, trimming the motor up at the same time. Well he throws a rooster tail of water all over those chumps that wouldn't move, and then has his partner hightail it outta there! Left them looking like drowned rats!

Moose1am
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
LOL Mike:
I did that once last year. Never suspected that my boat was that heavey though. :) I was going to just put the boat in so that I could draw some water up into the live well and refresh the water in there. That day I forget to put the plugs in. Boat filled up with water before I figured out what was going on.

Then once last summer or fall I forgot to take the tie downs off and like you could not figure out why the boat would not slide back off the trailer. I launch my boat just as you described, with the rope and by myself.

My trailer has two 16ft Two By Fours on edge that hold my boat on the trailer. My boat is a flat bottom aluminum Fishermarine Bass Boat. It's hard to get it to slide off those boards at times.

I get my boat completely unhooked from the wench and saftey chains and undo the back transom tie downs. The only thing keeping my boat from floating away after I lauch it off the trailer is the rope tied to the boat and the trailer. I use those safey snaps at each end of my rope to make it easy to unhook and hook the rope up to things.

It's not so funny.:D :D :D

Spring of last year.

I always launch by myself and how I do it is tie a rope from my front bow cleat to the front of my trailer, unhook the boat, back in until the boat floats off. I then just ease the truck, trailer and boat back to the bank. Get out move the boat over so someone else can use the ramp while I go park.

Well it was a nice morning and people were fishing next to the launch I back in do my thing and the boat won't come off the trailer.:eek: Well mt first thought was, did I forget to unhook my safety chain. So I pull out a little waise and check to see if I did, and the answer was yes. Then I started second guessing myself and thought, well maybe I didn't back in far enough.
I jump back in the truck and back her way out this time and then I realize I forgot to take my tie down strap off.:mad:
Dam it, I said and pull my truck back out and just as I was stepping out, this little black kid about 8 years old who was watching me says. "Hay Mister, is your boat too heavy to float?":o
I gotta say, as dumb as I felt, there was no stopping me from busting up. I started laughing and the other people started laughing it was a ball.:D
When I finally got my boat off the trailer I asked the little dude if he would hold my boat at the bank. He did and when I got down to him I gave him 2 bucks for his help. He sure gave me 2 bucks worth of laughter.
True story.

swamp
03-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm usually pretty patient and easy going, especially when I get the chance to go fishing, but the other day I almost lost my cool. I'm waiting on a man to get loaded up and move his truck so I can back in and load up. The man sits in his boat about 20 ft. from his trailer, talking on his cell phone. I hope this is not going to be a new trend.