Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Canoe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solo Canoe

For the last couple of months I researched different kayaks and solo canoes that are available, particularly the models that are popular for fishing. I'm new to fishing, and wanted a vessel that would help meet a few requirements: lightweight, able to fit in the 6'-6" bed of my Silverado, relatively stable and straight-tracking, and also cost efficient (I am a college student). I live in Eastern Kentucky where there are several small lakes available, as well as plenty of small rivers/creeks to fish from.

After weighing the options, I decided that the best model for me was probably the Old Town Pack canoe. I ended up getting the angler model as it has a lower, backed seat already included. This canoe is 12 feet and weighs around 33 lbs. according to Old Town, and I can certainly vouch for it being versatile. I've had it out only twice so far, but have been impressed with how the canoe handles on a lake, and also enjoy the open room I have for bringing my cooler, tackle, and perhaps a dog (perhaps! ). The canoe gives me plenty of room to shift around and sit in different positions, and I can also stretch and reach out to grab something if needed. All in all, I figure I have a canoe that will see a lot of use over the years, and provide me with a lot of fun opportunities on the water.

Best part about it? I can stay out on the lake for the better part of the day for the price of fuel to and from the lake, which is a 15-30 minute drive for me depending on which lake I visit Thumbs Up

I've seen a ton of information about kayak fishing, and just thought I'd tell a little about my Pack canoe as I think it's yet another option that prospective buyers can look at.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a newer sot and a solo canoe. The canoe is a 12ft old sears and roebuck fiberglass canoe that had 2 seats that I modified to one. I keep the kayak for swift rivers and shoals, but fish 99% out of the time in the canoe, because of all the reasons you suggested and the ability to stand, fish, and keep a minnow bucket in front of me instead of behind me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got the right set up for what you need matt. That's the way to go about it. Research. Can't wait to see some pics with some fish in your rig.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Come on Matt we want to see some pics with fish slime all over your new canoe. I know my dog would have loved for me to bought a canoe instead of a yak. She used to go with me everytime I took my motor boat out. What type of fishing do you like to do?
    Mike Barnett

Post Thanks / Like

old town pack angler is what i've been useing for about a year. i really like this little lightweight canoe.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally bought a camera today, so I'll be able to put some pictures up if this rain ever stops!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 4869
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 7135
Size:  78.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lean green crappie catching machine. Good luck with it.
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm hoping to take it out a bunch next week...provided it doesn't continue to rain.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have one of those in my "fleet" of boats! We run canoes in the small creeks after good rains, and it's a blast! Nothing quite like blasting through some waves and rapids in a canoe.

Do you guys use a kayak paddle in your canoes when running solo? Seems to me like that would be the way to go...
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast