Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Possible serious GPS issues

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible serious GPS issues

Interesting article GPS vs Wireless signals problems.

New wireless network may overwhelm signals for GPS » The Commercial Appeal
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I read about that yesterday. I kind of agree with Light Squared though. GPS devices should be able to filter out adjacent frequencies. I like the idea of high speed wireless.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, lets hope for the best. I do know that off band frequencies like Ham of CB will blow thru my cable TV or my radio by sheer signal strength. So, there could be some consiquences yet to be seen. However, I am a fan of new technology.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see the problems now. There will be noise interference that will affect the GPS signal. But it will the responsibility of the GPS to buy the filter kit (if one is available) to correct the problem. Anyone the CB craze in the mid 70's? The CBer's started to bleed over onto the braodcast televison channels, but it was the TV owners who had to fix the prob. My question is why does every kid 8 years or older need a cell phone? Who is so dang improtant that they gotta have that phone 24/7? Keep the wireless bands where they are but limit the amount of cellphones that are sold to 2 per family then there will be enough bandwidth for all.

Dont forget guys we are trying to recieve a signal from outer space. If they tell us to add a filter to block local interference, how much harder will it then be to recieve that signal from space? Our 3 foot accuracy will climb up to 50 ft or greater.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bombfixer View Post
    Keep the wireless bands where they are but limit the amount of cellphones that are sold to 2 per family then there will be enough bandwidth for all.
    Yeah. Great idea. Let's pass government regulations that specify how many cell phones we can own. Freedom is way over rated anyway, right? This isn't about just cell phones, it's about high speed wireless internet access for your computer, tv, phone, etc. But for sure, let's pass some regulations to restrict technological advances.

Post Thanks / Like

What would that do to the military that uses GPS for various operations

Post Thanks / Like

Don't believe the military would allow anything to get in the way of their GPS stuff. They would have a way I feel sure to control that. Besides most wireless networks don't reach all that far without putting the equipment near say a neighborhood that has access.

I may not know what I am talking about, but don't think the military would ever allow anything to interfere with their GPS. One way or the other they would stop that.

It would suck if our GPS got worse due to wireless systems and networks, but where I live not many near the water have enough people to get the companies to put the equipment in their neighborhoods. Of course I live on a huge lake and not that many people live here.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the military either. They probably have the answer and this is just an awareness call. I would be worried about the LAAS gps though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post

It would suck if our GPS got worse due to wireless systems and networks, but where I live not many near the water have enough people to get the companies to put the equipment in their neighborhoods. Of course I live on a huge lake and not that many people live here.

Skip
    I think situations like yours would benefit from this technology. Instead of having hard wired high speed connections they would be wireless which would make it much more cost effective to bring high speed connections to rural areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad i catch plenty of fish without all the hi tek stuff. I admit i have a V2 autopilot and nice gear but i dont have a fancy chartplotter and a SI unit, still catch plenty of fish though, yall fellas will be able to get along just fine if a temporary signal interference happens. I have faith in yallThumbs Up
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com