Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interstate Batteries, in my opinion....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interstate Batteries, in my opinion....

I purchased an Interstate size 27 cranking battery for my boat last August or September, I did lose the receipt, but the date code of manufacture is for July which is in line with the time line I recall. It was used only several times before winter. I put it on charge in the garage. I have 3 Schumacher SSC-1500A Ship 'N' Shore Speed Charge Chargers, and I used one of these to charge the battery. It showed that the battery was bad. I procrastinated doing anything about it till this month as I was not going to be using it anyway.

I am an industrial electrician, and I was trained and worked as a technician in the Navy for 20 years, where I worked with lead acid batteries as well. I had no intention of trying to dig up a reason for this battery being bad as it had had virtually no use, I just wanted it replaced. No new battery should be having these issues, IME.

I attempted to return it to the place I purchased it. While it read low, it did not read bad on their checker, and as Interstate had allegedly stuck them with a battery they had taken in several weeks earlier which the Interstate distributor claimed was not bad, they were not willing to take it back without further checking it.

I live a reasonable distance from them, so with gas prices as they are, running back and forth is not my idea of economical. So they referred me to their Interstate Battery distributer, who was just several miles away. I arrived there, and when they looked at the battery, they found the plates to be exposed. My best guess was a manufacturing error. My cranking battery does not take the use or abuse my trolling batteries take, and never needs near the charge, and is not nearly as old, and neither of them need water... If you use a mega amp charger you can cook or boil the acid/water out of the cells, but this battery had never had that much of a charge.

Anyway, they told me they would hook it up in series with 7 other batteries and would call me by 9AM about it. I told them I would not be home, but that my wife would be. Both my wife and I are ill today, so we both ended up at home, but no call.

Finally around 2:30PM I got impatient and called them. They said it was fully charged, but the specific gravity was low, meaning it was not properly charging, and they wanted to trickle charge it for some indefinite period of time. They offered to allow me to spend $16.00 or so in gas to pick up and return a loaner until they had determined if it was bad or not!

I have been buying batteries and working with batteries since I was 16, and I am nearly 40 years older now, and I have never had such an issue with a battery which is supposedly under warranty in all those years.

IMO, and IME, there is no excuse for a batteries acid/water level to be that low to begin with. That to me is enough reason for them to apologize and replace it. Then when they promise it in the AM, and in the PM when it's still not functioning, silly me, I expect them to honor their word, I guess I am just an *** for holding such high expectations, but be that as it may, I do!

This may just be how one distributer treats their customers, but most companies are careful to ensure their distributors ascribe to the corporate standard, thus I strongly suspect this is the case here. While your mileage may vary, I am done with Interstate Batteries for good! I plan to tell my co-workers, and anyone who will listen how shabbily I think Interstate Battery allows their distributors to treat their customers. BTW, I told them they could keep their battery, I wanted to tell them where they could stow it as well, but I managed to restrain myself!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-02-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Thought the final line was worth adding, forgot to mention it earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Lou, i have used interstate for years and have never had a problem with there distributers. I have had a couple suspsious batterys that wouldn't take a full charge, the dealers never even batted an eye, they replaced it on the spot. I would call customer service and tell them your concerns with the distributor, if they don't hear from there customers they probably don't know any thing is wrong. I would also find a new dealer....................Granite

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the Interstate website and report the dealer to them.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post
    Lou, i have used interstate for years and have never had a problem with there distributers. I have had a couple suspsious batterys that wouldn't take a full charge, the dealers never even batted an eye, they replaced it on the spot. I would call customer service and tell them your concerns with the distributor, if they don't hear from there customers they probably don't know any thing is wrong. I would also find a new dealer....................Granite
    Like I said, I have used them for years. The first one I bought was in 1979 in San Diego when I was stationed there, and they have been my preferred battery ever since. I did send this message to Interstate. I don't blame the dealer, they got burned, though it could be something like this where the Interstate distributer played with it for a few days and finally brought it back up, but for how long? I just don't trust a battery that will not charge with a normal charge. Thanks for the info though. I just don't believe that Bass Pro or even Sears would do this, not that I know, but I think it would cost them business so they simply would not do it. I could be wrong about that. Perhaps others can tell us about their experiences with other companies?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by satdoc1 View Post
    Go to the Interstate website and report the dealer to them.
    I did as soon as I was done posting here, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Bet you will be hearing something from the main co or the "Dealer".
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by satdoc1 View Post
    Bet you will be hearing something from the main co or the "Dealer".
    I do hope so, but the dealer is out of the loop now. I would still be hesitent to buy from Interstate again though as that distributor does exist, and seems to think they are doing business the right way... I also think the dealer ought to dump them, but that's their choice! If they want my battery business they need an alternative!

Post Thanks / Like

You sell Direct TV? Wish it was here! I am looking into changing over from Time Warner in Ohio. Both my sons have Direct TV, and my eldest has had it for years and they both love it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this works out for you.

I just bought a boat, and it has two Interstate batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TORTIS View Post
    I hope this works out for you.

I just bought a boat, and it has two Interstate batteries.
    Well, like I said, I have NEVER before had an issue with Interstate Batteries, so I suspect the odds for a long and healthy life are good for yours, unless they have really changed top to bottom or something. I just would not buy one now as I am sure others are easier to deal with when you DO have an issue... BTW, I told them they could keep their battery, I wanted to tell them where they could stow it as well, but I managed to restrain myself!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast