Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is the best Crappie Lakes around St. Louis Area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best Crappie Lakes around St. Louis Area?

I am looking for somewhere to do some crappie fishing around the St. Louis Area. I have been to bush wildlife but dont get anything but dinks! Literally no bigger than a can of chew! Does anyone have any advice on some good lakes or rivers in the area! I am from the North County area Near 270 & Lindberg. I am willing to drive withing 30-45 min if someone has any advice! thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Ted Shanks has any lakes. It a duck hunting area so they should. Other than that I'll go to Truman lol sorry for not helping much but St. Louis and I dont see each other much
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

If you live in NoCo, then you are probably within 45 min of a bunch of spots in IL. Carlyle, Horseshoe, Yaeger, GlenShoals. You've got access to Mississippi River around Dresser on the Mo side which would be real close. Try the Cuivre slough.
    County lakes are like Spanish Lake, Simpson Lake are subpar, you'd probably have better luck at Busch.
    @lozcrappie

Post Thanks / Like

I generally try to stay on the missouri side of the river unless I am going catfishing Where is the Cuivre Slough can i fish it without a boat as i do not have one of those every now and again i can borrow a fiends job boat but its only a 14 footer and only a trolling motor ? Have fished spanish lake & sunfish lake but most of which the crappie population is seriously depleted(BUT NOT THE BASS) I alwasy do very well at both of them for BASS!
    I love catching crappie but have struck out nearly all year long last year fishign for them getting one was more of an accident when i did and always very small.

I am very interested in somewhere i have at least a good chance of catching crappie. I am Interested in the Cuivre Slough how do i get there and where along ther do i fish?

I understant that fishing sport are like close guarded family secrets but, only great fishing spot i have is for River Cats if you like catching those which range in general from 20-50 pounds and can be fished from the bank! So would be willing to let you knw where to go for those in trade for some crappie information!

What is Dresser on the the missouri side? Have you tried the lake off to your left before going over the alton bridge on the way to missouri ever? It looks like it could have some crappie but never tried i wasnt sure if you had so thought i would ask!

Post Thanks / Like

Cuivre slough is up hwy 79 in Lincoln Co. There is a ramp of Dalbo or Dalbow Rd. It's been a while since I fished there, always from a boat. But I have caught decent crappie out of there, just fish all the trees and blowdowns.
    Dresser access is on 94 just west of West Alton. Again, you would need a boat and fish Brickhouse slough right next to the island. Careful, lots of stumps.

Many years ago before I had a boat, I used to bank fish the spillway area at Carlyle lake. Catch anything from cats, crappie, bass, whitebass, gills and sauger. Many times on the same day. Can be crowded, but usually very productive.
    @lozcrappie

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had alot of luch catching crappi on the big river but usually go all along the year on the IL side on the 2nd route3 exit going up the river to the lewis and clark go out the dike there is a large gravel parking lot at the end when u back up to the guard rail that you can catfish at its right at the top of the bypass that the boats use to get around the bridge that is Awsome for Very Large Catfish! If you need bait definitly go with skipjack and about 4 ounches of led set it right on the bottom with a giant chunk of skipjack and it kills them on the river! If i could catch more crappie than i could catfish i would belovin life

Post Thanks / Like

George Winter park in St LOuis county produces some nice crappie,has nice launch ramps and areas to bank fish,you may want to check St Louis County park website as high water on meramec closes road to park there are several large gravel pits to fish and is not crowded during week,weekends may be different though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donjhart View Post
    George Winter park in St LOuis county produces some nice crappie,has nice launch ramps and areas to bank fish,you may want to check St Louis County park website as high water on meramec closes road to park there are several large gravel pits to fish and is not crowded during week,weekends may be different though.
    Man if you can give me a few spots to try at George Winter I would be grateful. I live in Fenton and have fished there many many times over the years and have yet to catch a crappie. A few bass here and there but fishing was never good for me.

There is a park behind the soccer complex in Fenton, I think called Buder park that has crappie. It is always closed off though. Not sure what the deal is. Have not fished it in 2 or 3 years. Oh and Simpson Park is a joke. I am waiting to hit Wappappello at the end of April but need to try to find some close by for now. I may try and hit up Council Bluff soon. Great lake for Bluegill and Bass but have not heard too much about crappie but I know they have to be in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicworkman View Post

I understant that fishing sport are like close guarded family secrets but, only great fishing spot i have is for River Cats if you like catching those which range in general from 20-50 pounds and can be fished from the bank! So would be willing to let you knw where to go for those in trade for some crappie information!

I used to fish up there on the Missouri and caught some monster cats. I think off Bellfountaine rd. There is or was a detention center for teens that we would go through to get access to the river. Guys would be rolling their shopping carts down to the bank. Now I know why. Those fish are big.