Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging

I have a question that maybe some of you could answer. I am thinking of getting into spider rigging and know nothing about it. I was wondering what a good way to go would be equip. etc.. I have seen the rods on monks and read some other posts. How much weight do you use? 1 or 2 jigs or minnows? both? Speed when trolling? Clean or timbered spots.
    I do not want your spots I can usually catch my own fish just thought I could add another method to my arsenal and figured maybe somebody could give me a shortcut on gear and how to.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use 1/2 oz bell sinkers on the bottom and then 2 jigs or hooks above it, I usually space them 12 to 15 inches apart and above the sinker. I like to fish channels and flats in both open water and timber. Start with a couple rods and then add as you get use to it, the first time I had trouble keeping up with 4 rods and went to 2. It all depends on the fish but any more then 4 is a problem for me unless I have some one else with me. It can be really fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the grizzly double hook rigs, they're in the catalog. I fish mostly stump fields and occasionally open water. we go sloooowwww, 1/2 ounce wieght, minnows and jigs, perottibuilt racks, pro staff trollers from bnm, baitcast reels, 10 lb hi vis line, ..... everybody likes different stuff though.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the B&M Pro Staff trolling rods. Low profile baitcaster reels. Double jig or minnow rigs. Grizzly rigs tipped with minnows are hard to beat also! Slow and slower is the name of the game. As far as weight, use a small of weight as conditions allow. I go as light as 1/8th ounce up to 1 ounce depending on wind and current. The lighter the weight, the better you will see light bites. However, use enough weight to keep your baits from more or less straight up and down to a slight angle in your line.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I just use 2 jigs tied to whatever rods are handy. I use a 1/16th on top and a 1/8 on bottom with no extra weight at all. just have to go really slow to keep your lines down. I like to fish an area where the main channel, of whatever lake I'm fishing, swings up next to a bluff bank. wood cover is all the better, but sometimes they school up in the middle of the channel.
    hint: watch your line like a hawk! if all the lines are pulling one way, but 1 rods line is angled slightly different, set the hook! and if all lines are tight from the weight of the jigs, but 1 goes slack, a fish has gently picked up the jig and you will never know it if you dont look close. a gentle lift to feel for weight is all you have to do, just to check if the fish is there.
    use all different colors at all different depths and speeds and keep changing it up till you find a pattern. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy I guess we'll see what happens

Post Thanks / Like

We will be trying spider rigging for the first time this weekend. Thanks for putting such specific info in this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

This is what i miss about the Mo Board the most. No one afraid of sharing info. Thanks guys. Moving closer to the lakes down here. Can't wait to get my new Spider rig in the water.
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)