Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best rod n reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default best rod n reel

What would you guys say the best crappie rod n reel are?you guys mostly use lil spin casts? or is a baitcaster better? and what brands of reels?
    i guess a long light rod would be best,im not talking trolling i just want to hit the trees n stumps at twain.I wanna get serious and get some quality stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking WECOME Mo Crappie Killa

I mainly fish the same as you do, jiggin trees and stumps is 90% of my fishin. I got a couple Wally Marshal 6'6" lite action rods to try this year. I've been using 5'6" ultra lites, mainly ugly stiks. I really like the Quantum Kenetic PTi reels. Everything i've mentioned are medium priced, around 40 to 50 bucks. I'm sure theres better and cheaper brands out there, but this suits me...izzy:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default rods

hey killa I use 7ft.6in. eagle claw and 6ft 6in. eagle claw do lots of casting lots of drifting use 2 4 6 lb. test fish stockton 3times week tablerock 3or for times a week and reverse that some times. reels i use shimano. daddy always said ask lots of questions the use what suits you best good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to agree with Izzy on the reels I swear by those Quantum Kenetic PTi10 spinning reels. As for rods I switch it up a little. In the winter when they are deep, and in the spring I use a G-loomis 6'6" lite rod. But come summer time when I'm fishing shallow structure I use a 9-10' Wally or Outlaw rod. If you are fishing gin clear water I suggest you try Florocarbon, if the water is slightly stained I like to use wally's hi-vise line.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Well Im originally from Louisiana, where you vertical jig 98% of the time. so a good 10ft or 12ft jig pole like OutLaw,Ozark Rod Company,Richard Williams is what you want. They will out perform and other jig poles from Wally marshall,Sam Heaton etc. As far as reels on a jig pole...simple and basic...I have cheap spinning reels on mine, and on one a Zebco spin-cast.
    Now a good 6'6" spinning rod is a must for pitching at dock,stake beds,brush etc. I run Quantum Reels the Xtralite series, on UL rods. Those will be pretty much ur preference on what brand. But u want something strong yet sensative. Cause you know how lite the bite cant be. Im also a believer on the Zebco SlabSkeer rods around docks...you can feel the smallest bite possible with it...its just not very strudy...Bugman broke his wifes Sunday! lol
    Bugman whats ur two cents?!

Post Thanks / Like

Got a couple 12ft B+M jig poles also Cajun. We've talked about rods and reels, been meaning to ask Ted and Bugman what line they use at LOZ. I'm generally at Truman, but gonna try to get to LOZ a few times this year...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Default agree with Cajun

I agree with Cajun on the Ozark Rod Company rods purchased three (6'.6",8',10') six weeks ago from Edgar's Outdoor sports in Versailles so far they are great. Also see they are in Cabala’s now.

I use the 8' to reach over wells into docks on LOZ the 10' is to long for docks with roofs.

I use the 10' on Truman around structure to stay away and not spook the fish.

The 6.6 I use to cast into dock and everywhere else.

Line I also use Wally Marshall 4 and 6 pound.

Reels I prefer Browning spinning I believe they are aggressor they have no kick back what so ever. I picked three up at Bass Pro Outlet Store refurbished for $10 a piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Me and BugMan use that Mr Crappie BassPro Super-Vis 6lb...cheap at BassPro for a 1980yard spool..$5.49...I also use Berkley Vanish Transition 4lb and 6lb. they cast very easy. When Im back home in Louisiana in the Basin, I use Vanish for Bream bed fishing, with a wing-it bobber and cricket. And Cajun red 6lb in the stained, muddy water on my jig poles.
    I tell you what though...Nothing is prettier than feeling a Crappie slam ur jig, and you reel it up from 8' in clear LOZ water...I have never seen a fish on my line that deep before..its awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6'-6" & 7'-0" BPS micro lite rods for casting, for dipping or getting in docks I use outlaw crappie rods in 10'. Soon to be getting 12' might also try a 11'. For reels I swear by the Pflueger brand, Outlaw caught me interested in them and I have stuck to them. I like the presidents or the gx-7 trions. And the only line I have on all my crappie rods is power pro. I am hoping to buy a st croix rod here in the near future.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I own 1 Pflueger Trion GX-7, its very smooth. But its to high dollar a reel to be putting on a jig pole. All u need is a cheap spinning reel, or spincast for letting out line. PowerPro is nice, but 13bucks for 150yards..thats not a good value. Vs 6bucks for 1980yards....just my 2 cents...the only line I use thats high dollar is the Vanish, its 13bucks for 250yards...but its deadly on Bull Bream.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast