Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor

i have a 1672 jon boat i would like to start fishing out of at reelfoot instead of my 17' bomber crappie classic (mint condition) and dont want it beat all to h***. I was wondering i have a minn kota 40 lb edge foot control trolling motor i won and was going to put it on, do yall think it will be enuf for the wind, or do i need to invest in something bigger if i do just say so, put if its good amt of thrust that would be great. quick response please going to bps tomorrow probely get one tomorrow if i need to
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-10-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

little help on this please, i know there is someone who has expertese on this

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeremy .... I think you may be a little on the shy side, with a 40lb thrust. Just IMHO, though. My fishing partner's Tracker TX17 has a TM about that size, and it's not adequate thrust in windy conditions. If you can swing it, I'd say go for something around 50# thrust (esp if the jon only has a TM for power). Be sure & have a couple of good batteries onboard, too !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Owned 4 boats in my life. I learned the hard way about TM power. Get the bigger one as crappiepappy says. I only like to buy once.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

On a 1672 I'd say 55# minimum, but I'd want 70 ish and 24V. You could prolly get by with 12V 55# though, but note I said "get by". At that, you'll wish at times you had 70+ if you're going to spider rig in the wind.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you quiet down a trolling moto?? I have a 40 lb thrust turned 180 and use it on the Bow. Homemade mounting with rubber tire tube to quiet it down but still too noisy and I'm hard of hearing so I wonder what it sound like to a young guy. without hearing aids>>

Post Thanks / Like

go with much as you can afford maybe up to a 60 lb thrust
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a 1648 stick steer and a PD40 on it and I went home early pretty often when the wind got up. I would go with a 24 volt as big as your budget can stand. Mine was fairly high sided and blew around like a leaf in a parking lot. Bigger is definitely better in this case. Loved the power drive, and variable speed. It was the best for slow working a shoreline by myself. Trolling was a snap. I'll replace my current motor on this new boat with one.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    How do you quiet down a trolling moto?? I have a 40 lb thrust turned 180 and use it on the Bow. Homemade mounting with rubber tire tube to quiet it down but still too noisy and I'm hard of hearing so I wonder what it sound like to a young guy. without hearing aids>>
    Rich .... TM's should be whisper quiet w/little to no vibrations coming from the unit head. If it's not, you may want to check & see if there's any binding/rubbing going on with the gears & gizmo's in the head unit. If the noise is coming from the motor/prop unit ... you may have to take it to a repair center/tech.
    They do make a little rubber ring thingy, that you put around the motor unit, that's supposed to dampen vibrations. I found "one" floating in a local lake, & put it on my fishing partners TM ... but, I'll be dogged if I can tell whether it makes a difference/helps or not .... LOL !! Here they are :
    Bowjax MVD Trolling Motor Vibration Dampener, Electric Trolling Motor Accessories, Electric Trolling Motors, Boating : Cabelas.com

Vibrations can also be caused by chipped or warped TM props. And you'd be wise to remove the prop, every now & then, and check for fishing line &/or other debris that might be wrapped around the prop spindle. They can cause problems, not the least of which is destroying your motor unit seal & allowing water in ... or even just causing drag on your prop (which may put extra wear on your gears, or cause the unit to overheat, or place an extra burden on your battery draw).

... cp