Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly rods for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly rods for crappie

Just wanted to see how many people on here use a fly rod in some way to fish for crappie (jigging, casting, etc.). If you use one did you make any modifications to it? I have thought about getting one, but wasn't sure how I'd like the reel at the end of the pole. Other that that, it looks to be ideal. I saw the 8.5 ft version at WM for around $19 made out of a grahpite composite. Felt light and sensitive.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive used fly rods for a long time. Not much diff from a jig pole. I just used my fly reel or you can use a small spincast reel. Jig poles have a little more stiffness, but my fly rod has landed many crappie.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this FAOL link on Speck flies:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/F...ML/005524.html

Pay close attention to the Crappie Candy and Cypert's Minnow fly patterns :D. Cypert's Minnows on a 90 degree bent hook below a VOSI might just be the ticket .

VOSI link (note:Specks to these LA guys are Speckled Sea Trout, not Speckled Perch):
    http://laflyfish.com/flies/vosi.php

Its really personal preference but I use a 2-piece 8 foot EagleClaw Featherlight fiberglass 7wt. for all-around warmwater but I am on the lookout for an 8 foot fiberglass 4wt. to use mainly for bream and Specks. Graphites are fine. I have a 7.5 foot 7wt. Browning that I can use if I need more distance (spooky fish) but since I usually don't need the greater distance, the glass rods work just fine for great accuracy. I would pick a fly rod that felt good to me in my hands and casts well for me before I bought it. I like Scientific Anglers Concept Single Action reels. Your mileage may vary . The first fly rod I owned was a graphite/glass composite and I got the best of both worlds, distance and accuracy.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 03-03-2006 at 04:51 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Well Hooked ...

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKED
    Just wanted to see how many people on here use a fly rod in some way to fish for crappie (jigging, casting, etc.). If you use one did you make any modifications to it? I have thought about getting one, but wasn't sure how I'd like the reel at the end of the pole. Other that that, it looks to be ideal. I saw the 8.5 ft version at WM for around $19 made out of a grahpite composite. Felt light and sensitive.

I've got two fly rods/automatic fly reels .. that are hand-me-downs from my Crappie fishing Mentor - my late Grandfather. The reels are put away, but the rods have been used quite often. I use them to fish minnow/float rigs, either drifting - dipping - still fishing. One has a med sized Daiwa spinning reel attached to the end reel seat - the other has a Abu Garcia 2500C baitcast reel taped to the cork handle. I don't have/use rod holders, so I just lay them on the deck. The heavy reels help keep them in the boat
    They aren't anything "special", $$ value wise ... just a couple of 8ft "off the shelf" rods. But, sentimental value wise, they're priceless. I keep his memory alive, in my mind, by using them ... and catching fish with them !! I couldn't even begin to guess how many Crappie these rods have put in the boat, in their lifetimes :D
    And since I do still have the auto fly reels, and they are still functional ... if I ever wanted to resort to a little fly fishing, I'm good to go.
    I never saw my Grandfather actually "fly fish" with them. He always used them to tightline with .... fly line and all It used to drive me up the wall, to watch him get a bite on one of them .... and wait for the rod tip to get pulled under the water's surface, before setting the hook :D ... especially since he always told ME to set the hook at the first sign of the rod tip going down ... LOL!! Of course, I was using 6ft med action spincast outfits ... so his reasoning/advice was sound - I just didn't "get it" at the time (I was pre-teen, at that time :rolleyes: ). ........ luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I Use A Orvis 3 Wt & Love It.
    This Is The First Good Quality Fly Rod I Ever Bought But As For Balance & Casting A Light Rod. There Is A Difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I love to fly fish for crappies.... One thing HOOKED, on a fly rod you get what you pay for.. Good luck and give it a try...

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

ive got a couple of fly rodes with daiwa spincast reels atached to them that have put a great number of crappie in the boat. i like them for jigging and cork fishin a minnow

Post Thanks / Like

trigger99, you are so right I have a couple also set up this way. You can find these at yard sales next to nothing. Happy Fishing

Fish Detective
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have that 7.5 foot 7wt. Browning graphite fly rod rigged up with a little Diawa spincast reel on it with mono line right now for the time being. It is an excellent jig rig. Downside is that being so long it doesn't work too good under canal bridges . That's why I end up using my short little Diawa ultra light spinning rod most of the time for float (cork) fishing but its not as good for jigging as the long fly rod.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

i have a question, i have a 7.5 foot fly rod, and would i be better off putting a spinning reel on it for crappies??? i am a newbie at this crappie fishing stuff. CoRy
    CoRy:cool:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast