Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Build a big one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Build a big one.

Building brush piles is a compulsion of mine and I like to build big ones. Two good sized willow trees or branches tied together at the base work great. Pick branches with 4"-5" diameter trunks and with at least 3 major branches off them so they will stick up off the bottom no matter how they land. I tie a concrete block about midway up each tree and another (or two) at the base where they join. These piles are to big and heavy to load in the boat so we attach a rope to the trunk ends and to the front of the boat and back up until we get to our premarked spot and let them go. Works great. We can build a new Brush pile in about 15 min., start to finish.
    Good fishing.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats not a condo--Its a resort---LOL
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbors did just that , giant willow, plenty of weight. They went back a few weeks later , no condo to be found. I got sidescan a year later,
    worked the whole area , no condo. One theory , beavers ate it. 2nd theory , some one saw them place it and moved it.

any other ideas ?

MO
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/mozingo1952/?action=view&current=crappie1010002-1.jpg

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna be some slabs on that condo soon. Are you still doing your PVC ones? Nice job.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I,ve lost a few. Never knew what happened to them. Maybe beavers or theives but I probably would have found them.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I know when I use willow trees and cut off the limbs to build a duck blind that looks like a beaver hut they come by and saw them off at water level.
    James E Abell

Post Thanks / Like

always wire your willows to the duck blind. if you have beavers they love to come take them home with them. i've had friends that had their blinds stripped by the beavers after they brushed them with willows.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously doubt that beavers would go after submerged wood in deep water. My guess would be other fishermen who need their rear ends kicked.

A buddy of mine was sitting up 5 gallon buckets with stakes concreted into them in KY Lake a few years back. He would set 8-10 in a tight area, GPS them ,and go back for another load for another spot. He was having trouble finding many of his buckets when he went back to fish them. These were placed in 10+FOW! While he was loading up another boat full, he noticed a boat in the very area he had placed a load an hour or so before. My buddy motored out to the spot to see who might be on them. Ends up it was a local guide who was pulling the buckets back up and moving them some distance away to "his" spot. When the guide was confronted, he started cussing my friend, who is a retired state trooper, and told him he would do whatever he wanted to do since the buckets were now on public property. After being advised he could get his legs broken, the guide gave up his bucket moving ways. Seems the guide lived within seeing distance, would go out with a grappling hook and look for bubbles coming up from the buckets, hook them and raise them. I guess in actual legal terms, the guide had the right to do what he was doing but is a sorry individual for doing so in my book (and my friend's)!

I feel that you should leave a fisherman's brushpiles alone and build your own if you want some in a different spot. That way, everybody gets to benefit from the hard work.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff