Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old Faithful

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Old Faithful

I'm heading down to Old Faithful (Lake Ohop) in the morning. I try and get some pics and post a report when I get back.

Slab this weekend would be a great time to hit Union again. If the Weather says the same, let me know...
    "GET THE NET!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Are they still biting good down there?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Miss Unreliable

Old Faithful turned out to be Miss Unreliable today. This was my first time going down there and coming back empty handed. Not a nibble, not a bite. I have no idea where the fish went, Charlie couldn't even find them. I saw about four fish on the monitor the entire day, and they were few and far in between. Maybe the Eclipse spooked them.... the only thing I caught was a cold.
    "GET THE NET!!"

Nordicthug Guest

When you guys fish Lake Union, where do you launch, at the launch just east of Gasworks park?

I'd sure like to meet you guys and do some fishing.

Nordicthug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunChris1
    Old Faithful turned out to be Miss Unreliable today. This was my first time going down there and coming back empty handed. Not a nibble, not a bite. I have no idea where the fish went, Charlie couldn't even find them. I saw about four fish on the monitor the entire day, and they were few and far in between. Maybe the Eclipse spooked them.... the only thing I caught was a cold.
    Damn, ain't that the way it goes? Could have been the red moon. That and the weather not being stable from day to day probably took it's toll on the fish. I've yet to find where the crappie go in the winter on Ohop. It's a valley lake with a pretty flat bottom of about 35-40 feet. I haven't found any main lake structures only the brush piles off the bank. I could only guess that they suspend for most of the winter there. It's still one of my favorite lakes though.

Nordicthug, the gas park ramp is the one you want to use. Launch out near dusk and find a bay with rock flats and a drop off near by. The fish will be stacked up on the edge of the drop off. There's about 5 bays that hold the crappie year-around. There's also two huge mid-lake humps that hold the fish all winter long.

Nordicthug Guest

where exactly are these bays? I'm just a tad cornfoosed here.

NT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nordicthug
    where exactly are these bays? I'm just a tad cornfoosed here.

NT

I can't give up the honeyholes :D but there's a well known crappie bay on at the south end of the lake. You'll know when you find it, there will be two one block long broken down docks. These old docks are in about 22'-30' of water and will hold the fish until around December. After December it's time to fish the mid-lake humps.

Nordicthug Guest

Apparently I'm gonna have to grease up the fish finder and start doin' some looking. That's part of the fun anyhow. Tomorrow, I'll buy a good chart and then let the games begin!!

Trouble with winter is there are too many darn projects around the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nordicthug
    Apparently I'm gonna have to grease up the fish finder and start doin' some looking. That's part of the fun anyhow. Tomorrow, I'll buy a good chart and then let the games begin!!

Trouble with winter is there are too many darn projects around the house.
    You'll find them. They're schooled up pretty thick right now so you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding them. If all else fails, fish in back of the many house boats on the east side of the lake.
    Last edited by SlabKing; 11-03-2004 at 11:05 AM.