Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 82 Ramp south of Osceola

Post Thanks / Like

Default 82 Ramp south of Osceola

Does anyone fish this ramp? If so, is it better to go downstream towards the confluence of the two? I have a friend coming up this weekend, and if the Big O. is still up and muddy, like I am sure it will be, can a person do some good where the Sac water meets it? Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like

I put in at the Sac-River Access alot. Fish up and down and usually find more fish down. When you get to the first right turn, that whole bend in the river can produce large numbers of shad, which in turn usually produces schools of crappie. After that you just have to fish the drop along the edge of the river channel paying close attention for log piles. One side is usually better than the other, just have to test each side. I usually find the fish in that arm around 10 ft deep along the river channel. As you go down stream you'll come to Broyles Branch off to your right. From the mouth down stream on the deep side, usually pretty good fishing. You may have to go upstream from the bridge to find cleaner water. I haven't been there in a few weeks, so Im not sure of whats going on currently, but it is a great place to fish. Hope this helps. If I haven't answered your questions just reply and I will try to help with specifics. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

BB- I appreciate it. When you say down from Broyles Branch on the deep side, you mean the opposite side of the river, correct? Does the muddy water back up the Sac arm that far, as you mentioned going up past the bridge. If so, do the relate to that color change quite a bit, and hang near it? (will they move up river ahead of the mud)?
    Thanks a lot for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like

Broyles Creek runs in to the Sac on the deep side. Good for about a mile. Broyles Creek can hold some fish but probably to shallow right now. Better when the crappie start to spawn. Above the 82 bridge should be less muddy but you don't have as many targets. I would concentrate on the first right bend in the Sac below the ramp, and fish down stream from there. Plenty of wood along both sides all the way to Broyles. My guess is the closer you get to the Osage, the muddier the water, and probably a pretty good current. The Gallinipper is usually clearer water and that is close by. Thats the first creek above the 13 bridge over the Osage. If your there on the Sac and not catching, go on down to the Gallinipper and see what condition the water is in. Its about 4 miles from the mouth of the Sac down to the Gallinipper.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, that sounds great. How deep a water is that first bend? Do you anchor and fish or have to have a trolling motor? Thanks again, big help.

Post Thanks / Like

You should have a trolling motor as its a pretty big area. Deepest water probably 25 feet. the north edge of the bend usually best.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, the first right-turn, you mean the one that can be seen from the bridge? (I looked at the map on google) looks like a couple hundred yards down?

Post Thanks / Like

That turn is just a little back water pot hole. No good for fishing. Stay in the middle of the river and as it comes to a rocky bank straight ahead of you, that is the bend Im talking about. You really cant miss it. It s the first 90 degree turn in the river. The next 90 degree turn left is the mouth of the Broyles Creek. That first right 90 degree turn is probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the ramp. Let me know how you do in the river. Hope this helps. Just back from Melvern Lake in Kansas. Got 13, 14inch crappie and one 3lb wally. Nice day fair fishing. The fish were 20 to 25 feet deep on bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, sounds good, we were on the same page I think I just misjudged the distance. I dont have much of a trolling motor for a boat the size of mine, so that is a little bit of a concern, but if the wind isnt terrible, we ma be alright. I will let you know what happens. Congrats on the catch in KS!