Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling motor or transcon transducer mount

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor or transcon transducer mount

I put the transducer on my trolling motor. I fish a lot of creeks because I have a small Buster Boat. I turn my trolling motor alot to miss the stumps and logs. The screen shows distortions because of that. Would putting the transducer on the back of the boat help that situation. What should I do? I have a Hummingbird 798ci si.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The SI Xducers are designed to be mounted such that the xducer is parallel to the boat's travel...

If it is not feasable for you to turn the TM slow enough to minimize the distorsion in your images..then it would probably be better to mount the xducer in a "fixed" position somewhere on the boat with a clear view out both sides of the Xducer...this area is generally on the transom...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

what about a 587 ci. how is the transducer on this one. I think i am fixing to mount it to the back of the boat. What do you think on it? If i am spider rigging off the front, and the trans is on the back will it still show fish and structure in front and under my lines?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keith29 View Post
    what about a 587 ci. how is the transducer on this one. I think i am fixing to mount it to the back of the boat. What do you think on it? If i am spider rigging off the front, and the trans is on the back will it still show fish and structure in front and under my lines?
    keith..looking at the sonar specs here... 587ci HD Combo :: Marine Fishfinder :: Humminbird

The dual beam sonar has a...
    20 degree angle at the 200kHz
    60 degree angle at the 83kHz

You would have to be in very deep water for the "front portion of the sonar cone" to extend far enough forward to reach the front of the boat (with Xducer on the back)..

Others on here are more versed in the actual bottom coverage measurements in different depths...but

For normal spider riggin depths (3ft - 25ft.) I don't think the sonar cone would reach much farther forward than about mid-boat...even at 25ft of water...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought about the 798 TD is to get a dead transommount trolling motor and remover the motor and use the shaft and mount to mount the 798 TD to. It would keep it oriented and you could keep it out of harms way easier. You get the basic idea, I'm sure you could apply it if it fits your needs.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shakynerves24 View Post
    I put the transducer on my trolling motor. I fish a lot of creeks because I have a small Buster Boat. I turn my trolling motor alot to miss the stumps and logs. The screen shows distortions because of that. Would putting the transducer on the back of the boat help that situation. What should I do? I have a Hummingbird 798ci si.
    Shakey .... your depth finder will show what you've passed over already, with the transducer on the back --- but that may not be too big a deal, if getting a readable screen image is hard to manage with it mounted on the TM. A 20deg cone angle will show a bottom circle about 1/3 the diameter of whatever depth water you're in. In other words ... if you're in 21ft of water, the diameter of the cone is 7ft (on the bottom). So, if your unit has dual beam capability, and the other option is a 60deg cone, then the circle will be about the same as the depth. (ie - if you're in 21ft of water, then the circle will be 21ft in diameter). You'd have to take into consideration that only 1/2 of that circle will be "ahead" of the position of the transducer ... and gauge that against the length of the boat. You also have to take into consideration that the screen image runs right to left (down imaging) ... and whatever shows on the right is real time imaging from the front edge of the cone's bottom circle. Everything else on the screen is "history", as it moves to the left & off the screen. Knowing that, and knowing how big the cone circle is, will tell you that what's coming on screen is however many feet in front of the positon of the transducer. Depending on depth of water, length of boat, position of transducer, and which of the two cone angles you're using ..... you'll know where the front edge of the cone influence is, and where/what exactly the right side of the screen image is showing (& where it is in relation to the transducers position).

Skeet's suggestion has merit, if you can rig a way to mount the transducer up front ... but, NOT on the TM. That would give you a stable image, and make side imaging more plausible.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll figure something out.