Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Outboard Title Info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outboard Title Info

I bought me a small boat for fishing ponds and city lakes last week because my big boat is too big to get back on the trailer without the big motor. I found a used 9.9 in Kansas for an under 10 HP lake close to home. Do I need anything other than a bill of sale to get it titled in Missouri? I called the DOR and was told this was all I needed but at the license office they said I also need a Kansas registration. Hopefully one of you has been thru this before.

I love fishing Truman but I also miss fishing smaller waters close to home.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Went through this a good bit, may be alternative but this has been my experience. Kansas is a non title state and Missouri titles boat, motor, and trailer separately. Easiest if the previous Kansas owner notifies Kansas Wildlife and Parks that he is selling which he is required to do by law. He could provide you with his copy of registration and sign off on it or you can contact the agency with your engine serial number for verification. Somehow it never seems to be easy sorry to tell ya.

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my motor out of Louisiana in 2005 all I had was the bill of sale.
    I would follow Kaz's advice though to make sure all the loops are covered though.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

and a bit of experience to keep to yourself :D, different DMV offices in missouri will try harder for you than some others, never hurts to ask more than one office for input, some offices deal with boats a lot and some don't

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one in arkansas and took it to the missouri water patrol inspection site in Galena and got the boat and trailer certified, I would check ther web site and see what the regs are you may be able to get the motor ran like I did the boat. it was easy, I just called the office and they gave me all the information. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a motor from Kansas, all I needed was a bill of sale. Missouri and Kansas aren't that concerned about each other.

Post Thanks / Like

If motor originates from a non titleing state just need Bill of Sale and a form from DMV that the Waterpatrol needs to fill out and inspect the motor. No big deal when have the form call one of the officers they will help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends which fee office you go to. Some are more anal than others about it and really have no clue what they are doing. They fail to realize there are states with different regulations than Missouri and treat everything like it were a motor vehicle.

If you really want to screw with them, try to register an air plane.
    Last edited by johnlaw484; 02-22-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your response. It looks like there is no set requirement and that it depends on where i go to register the boat???

I don't think I need to worry about registering an airplane at this point, I don't think I want to fly in something I traded a shotgun for???

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think you'll need to worry about water patrol doing anything for you either. Just take a bill of sale in. I did this at the Lee's Summit office and it was a 5 minute deal.