Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Travel patterns for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Travel patterns for crappie

These are the questions that came to mind while fishing in the rain Saturday. Does anyone know the migration patterns of a crappie during the year? How far from their area will they travel? If you catch a crappie and transplant it to a different location in the lake will it return to its original place it was caught or stay close to where you have released it? These are my Jack Handy thoughts while not catching any fish but trying to be productive.

Post Thanks / Like

i read an article by the Kentucky Dept of Fish and Wildlife--if you google Kentucky Spring 2004 crappie study result you will find the article. Fish and Game tagged black and white crappie and released them into a creek on Kentucky lake. They tracked the crappie movement from March to July. I believe half of the fish at the end of the study were still in the same creek they were released in. Very interesting article. May answer a few of your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think they go far from where the are hatched, and once moved I think they die. on the mississippi board,there is a thread that shows the moving of tagged fish, kinda neat, look for the post tagged crappie