Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back again

I am back to the forum after a year long bout with Prostate Cancer. Glad to say that it was diagnosed in the early stages, but it's still not something I would wish on anyone. 44 radiation treatments will leave you zapped! I'm beginning to get my stamina back now and I am more than ready to get back to crappie fishing. My boat hasn't been out of the garage during my illness. I am wondering what I should do to get it ready. It is a 181/2 ' Venture with a Mercury 150XR2. It is all a 1987 rig, but has been meticulously cared for. I have a feeling that if the motor has many issues I will spring for a new motor. Any suggestions what engine would be best? I have done some research, and the new Evinrude 150 HO or 175 has some attractive features. Anybody familiar with them? Men over age 40 GET YOUR PROSTATE CHECKED! Not just a PSA reading (Blood test), get the digital exam also. My PSA was good, but my persistent Urologist found a small nodule on the side of my Prostate with the exam. Get both, it can save your life!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it does leave you tired, what state you live in, there's a place in northern IL that has that 45 visit program.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad things went well, and welcome back. The motor I have is and '88 and I had some issues when I bought it a year and a half ago. It had spent more time in the garage than on the water, and some of the electronics in the ignition went south. Carbs might need cleaned up, and a GOOD mechanic can do a diagnostic on the electronics and see which ones need help, if any. If he scratches his head when you say "electronic diagnosis" he's not your man. An impeller for the water pump and check the lower unit seals is probably in order too. New motors are pricey, way out of my range, but I like the Mercury Optimax would be a strong contender if I was to replace my Mariner 150. The 4 strokes are worth looking at and have come a long way in the past few years. Good luck with it all, there's fish out there just waiting for you.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to here you are better
    Carter

“Within the covers of the Bible are all the answers for all the problems men face."
    Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your recovery. Hope you get on the water soon and get started pulling in the fish.

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No recommendations on motors but glad to hear your back up and at~um!
    You can't finish what you don't start

Dave Willis is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you won your battle,and skeetbum gave you some good advice on getting your motor checked out.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would add:

check your trailer : tires (for dry rot & air pressure), & bearings (remove & re-grease, if needed)
    get rid of your current gas & refill with fresh
    replace spark plugs
    SeaFoam/Deep Creep treatment (to remove carbon deposit & varnish buildup) [go here for "how to use" info : Sea Foam | Products ]
    compression check
    replace lower unit grease
    check trim/tilt (add fluid if needed)
    freshen up the steering cable rod grease
    check all batteries & replace if needed (should be OK if you've kept them charged)
    remove all elec hookups (battery cables, especially) and clean them .. coat them with dielectric grease

And confirm :

replacing water pump impeller (lower units seals could be replaced during this process)
    cleaning of carbs (if needed after the SeaFoam or Deep Creep treatment)
    electronics checkup

Some are DIY, some may require mechanic/tech help, and not all of them may be necessary to perform ... but, listed as possible problem sites.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Before I decided on a motor I went to several places and talked to mechanics. I asked every mechanic what he thought about the motors out there and then I asked the most IMPORTANT question ....."what motor comes in the least for repair?" That has been a few years ago and every mechanic said the same thing yamaha. I am not recommending the yamaha because there has been alot of change in motors the last several years, but I do recommend talking to several mechanics!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to have ya back. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast