Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat frozen to trailer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat frozen to trailer?

Last Sunday took the bass boat out to do some sauger fishing. Temps were 5 degrees thurs and friday, and needless to say the boat was froze to the trailer. Took an HOUR for it to thaw so we could get it off the trailer. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with this besides keeping it in a warm garage?

And for those that want a report, fished cumberland river in tn, and caught 20 fish. Only two measured, one 17.5 in sauger and one 16.5 walleye. Vertical jigging 1.25oz jig tipped with a tuffy. Color didn't seem to matter, and most were caught on chartruse and orange.
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow..an hour. We get some pretty cold temps up here and usually by just launching boat and letting it set in the water on the trailer will thaw it out enough to get it off in five or ten minutes. These are aluminum 16 to 18 foot Jon boats we duck hunt out of. Try putting some of the EZ slide teflon pads on your carpeted bunks, know some guys that use em and say they work. Cabelas or Bass Pro carry them.
    "Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians."

Post Thanks / Like

Back the trailer all they way into the water. The warm water will melt the ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response guys!

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Back the trailer all they way into the water. The warm water will melt the ice.

I did. Water was up, and the ramp had an akward angle into the water. Backed it down until the trailer was about to float, and water was slowly coming in the splashwell. We let it "soak" for a while, then would have to drain the water out (bilge and livewell pumps were frozen too). The trailer was in the water for an HOUR "thawing" till it finally broke free. My 16' al boat isn't nearly as big of a pain as a 19' glass boat. Didn't know if anyone had any simple "tricks" for launching a frozen rig???
    "They bitin' up river on that topwater"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the slides on a glass hull. I like spreading out the weight as much as possible, and they are skinnier than the bunks. Frozen steering cables is my pet peeve. Haven't had one frozen to the trailer yet so this is a lesson for me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Silicon spray on the bunks before loading will help with the next trip. Make sure you don't untie the bow hook early though if you do it, because that will help unload the boat when it isn't frozen too. :o

Post Thanks / Like

i USE THE BUNK PADS FROM bps ON MINE AND IT HASNT FROZEN TO THE TRAILER YET!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I usually let the boat float the trailer. The warm water and the weight of the trailer usually does the trick in just a few minutes.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536