Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dead Sea!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Dead Sea!

Well, the neighbor kid was out Friday driving around scouting for snow geese and told me that Lake Girardeau boat ramp wasn't froze over and that most of the main lake was ice free. I got done with work around 2:00 Friday and figured I would run out and see if I could catch a fish or two. Started fishing at 2:30 and tried getting a bite deep out there. Once again the "Dead Sea" was a waste of time. I marked very fish fish, even when I woudl find some deep structure and tried a drop shot rig w/ minnows, tried a couple different jig colors and didn't even have a bite. Virtually no wind, 36 degree water temp.

I honestly think we should have a crappie tourney out there and see if any of you guys could catch more than 1 fish out there. Honestly I have been to that lake 20 times and have only caught 2 crappie out there. I don't consider myself any sort of crappie fishing expert, but you would think you could luck into a fish or two at least every other time you go out there. I've been out there in Jan.-June and still virtually nothing. I have jigged it, spider rigged it, used jigs, minnows, etc.....If it wasn't 15 minutes from my house I wouldn't waste the gas money to get out there!

I wonder if the MDC has ever done a shock survey out there and if I could get the results just to see if there are any crappie out there!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a productive day for The Dead Sea!!!!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

If it's that tough i think i'll mark it off my to-do list.......
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand it. It's probably as pretty a lake as there is around. Plenty of cover and a nice range of depth. Once again, looks ain't everything. I went to school with a guy that went to work for the Dept. He said they shocked some out there back in the late eighties. Big Bass were expected each trip and it didn't disappoint. That was twenty years ago though. I haven't spoken with him in a while, and have not heard anything about any shocking goin on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SEMOmike View Post
    Well, the neighbor kid was out Friday driving around scouting for snow geese and told me that Lake Girardeau boat ramp wasn't froze over and that most of the main lake was ice free. I got done with work around 2:00 Friday and figured I would run out and see if I could catch a fish or two. Started fishing at 2:30 and tried getting a bite deep out there. Once again the "Dead Sea" was a waste of time. I marked very fish fish, even when I woudl find some deep structure and tried a drop shot rig w/ minnows, tried a couple different jig colors and didn't even have a bite. Virtually no wind, 36 degree water temp.

I honestly think we should have a crappie tourney out there and see if any of you guys could catch more than 1 fish out there. Honestly I have been to that lake 20 times and have only caught 2 crappie out there. I don't consider myself any sort of crappie fishing expert, but you would think you could luck into a fish or two at least every other time you go out there. I've been out there in Jan.-June and still virtually nothing. I have jigged it, spider rigged it, used jigs, minnows, etc.....If it wasn't 15 minutes from my house I wouldn't waste the gas money to get out there!

I wonder if the MDC has ever done a shock survey out there and if I could get the results just to see if there are any crappie out there!
    Have you fished there during the spawn? If people arn't catching a lot of fish in late April and May then your right and the numbers are bad.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Prospects | Lakes you can look at mdc outlook for this lake at this web site. hope i pasted it right. but you are right it may just be a dead sea. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished it during the spawn and have been shutout nearly every time. Almost everyone in the area calls Lake Girardeau the "Dead Sea". I can't believe it, but I'm sitting here right now considering going out there and trying it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this one was the last good one in there
    Ain't that right Speck!!!!!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats right Smitty!!!! It is such a beautiful lake. Lots of timber and structure. It should be a crappie producing machine!!!! We caught a bunch of GOOD crappie out of there in the 70's and 80's. It absolutely sucks now! Its a shame because it is exactly 12 minutes from my driveway to the boat ramp.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Better get to moving some crappie into it.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast