Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If pvc is hard to locate once sunk.....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking If pvc is hard to locate once sunk.....

How would it be to use a piece of sewer pipe with the holes drilled bigger and crossdrilled holes as well to hold smaller pieces then capped and filled with concrete in the big pipe and grout in the smaller pipe? wouldnt it show the structure on the fish finder then? I was gonna try this this weekend but need opinions.
    :p :p I would rather be fishing :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got these items already from honey dews ive done so no extra cost on the grout for the 1" and I can duct tape the ends so no 1" caps. then drill and if I drill close to the base it should hold itself up. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I have wondered about placing a few aluminum coke cans on a pvc condo or some type of metal flashing that would really show up on a fish finder. I dont know if this would work but its an idea I have toyed with.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone On Here Said They Put A Piece Of Board In Theirs And It Showed On The Sounder---i,ve Heard Other People Say They Can Tweak Their Sounder High Enough To Read The Pvc
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Well Im gonna try it out unless someone posts it wont work. So i'll keep you guys posted. Ill be putting them together tonight so maybe ill put them in Sunday and report back on the result.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

put copper wire in it
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Tom (Cane Pole) posted about sticking some 1x1's inside the branches of one of his PVC tree. I use 1" OD PVC pipe for the branches of my PVC trees. I use the 10ft long by 4" od pvc pipe for the trucks.

I found that if I can get my PVC trees to stand UPRIGHT on the bottom that I can see them ok with my Humminbird LCR 8000. A lot depends on how deep they are in the water and how close they are to the surface of the lake. Mine are only about 5 to 10 feet under the surface so the sound waves can hit them and even weak returns will make it back up to my transducer. But my transducer is mounted on the bottom of my trolling motor and already under the surface by 1.5ft. Sound waves propagate like light waves and the loose energy with the Square of the increased distance. So you move two feet away and you lose 2 squared the energy. You move 4 feet away and you lose 4 squared the energy. It's a log function so the closer you are to the structure the easier it is to see on the depth finders screen.

One thing to remember. The reason for using PVC is that the jigs are not likely to get hung up on it. The hooks won't catch on the pvc pipe. If you put something on the pipe where the hook can get caught in it then you loose this good property of using PVC Pipes for crappie trees.

Best thing I can tell anyone wanting to use PVC pipe for crappie trees (condos) is to mark the spot good with GPS and write down the coordinates on paper too. I would further find some shoreline points and triangulate the spot using things on the shoreline to get two lines that cross at the spot of the PVC tree.

One more thing. The more power the sound wave the more likely they will show the PVC tree. Turn off the auto feature of your depth finder and turn up the power or gain and use the unit in the manual mode.

I found that by putting a small 1" length of fun noodle in the top of my 4" and 3" pipe that the top stays up. That keeps the branches more parallel to the lake surface and make them easier to see on the depth finder.

It helps to put the closer to a shoreline where you can find them easier.

I am now using 5 PVC trees all within a small area of the lake I fish most. And last fall they started producing more fish than ever.

I started out with just two pvc trees placed in 15 to 20ft of water on a gentle sloping area. I separated those two trees by 30 feet and I think that they both fell over sideways on the lake bottom. The branches get squashed when that happens. I added three more PVC trees to this area to fill in the gaps and expand the setup. Two of these were these ones that Chief sent to me to test out. And I made another PVC 10ft tree with 10ft branches. One the last three trees I added the fun noodles to the tops and capped the tops with a pipe cap. I can see these new trees much better than the two older trees. All are made of the same materials basically. But the ones that stand up off the bottom are easier to see on the depth finder.

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    Someone On Here Said They Put A Piece Of Board In Theirs And It Showed On The Sounder---i,ve Heard Other People Say They Can Tweak Their Sounder High Enough To Read The Pvc
    Regards,

Moose1am

Pontoon Guest

I have a Lowrance 332C and the PVC sets show up better on it than christmas trees or and thing else. The night we dopped them in we watched them fall to the bottom on the graph.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an idea, get a GPS. It might work never know. My Magellan Meridian gold is accurate within two to three meters gets you close I would think. Then maybe you can fine tune your fish finder and get right on top of them. But if not at least you are close enough to find and fish around them. Just a thought.

P.S. Sorry was not trying to be a smart A$$ just wanted to give my idea.
    Last edited by Crappie Xtreme; 02-25-2006 at 09:18 AM.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I have 24 PVC beds out now and 17 more that will be in in a few days. I have an X-75 Lowrance. When I dropped them I would place a bouy where I wanted them and then place them all around the bouy. Once they were set I would come back in looking for them all the while the bouy is still in the middle of them. I first set my handheld GPS and also the one in my dash and store the way points. Now from what my graph shows it does not look like a regular brush pile but broken up signals. But it still shows up. If you know what to look for . I also write down my coordinates like Moose said. Now heres what I don't understand-- I have a Garmen 12 handheld and a Lowrance Global Map 2000 indash. The coordinates are differant on the same marked waypoint? I write both down and differentiate which one I took the reading with. I don't want to take a chance of losing the beds!Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast