Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holland Bottoms WMA/Lake Pickthorne

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holland Bottoms WMA/Lake Pickthorne

Anyone ever fished the Bayous in Holland bottoms. The names are Jacks and Two Prarie. I have fished Pickthorne Lake before, and hate it, it is located in the WMA as well. It looks like Jacks comes from further Northwest and Two Praries comes from the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to bowhunt there some and know of a few big ditches, but not what I would call buyous.A guy could probably walk the big ditches and catch some fish but I've never done it.The biggest one I know of is across the tracks, behind the lake at the end of the road and behind the pines on the right. Don't know if we are talking about the same water. Let me know. These are inside the refuge.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, i just drove out there (its about 5 min. from me)and where i am looking at is at the very sothern part of the refuge, there is an access point there. there seems to be good water there, and will probably be really good when the spring rains hit, but i did notice a lot of trash, although it might have been b/c the area and the access point. The gate was closed on the road, but seems like an atv gate was there, i am not sure if they allow atvs there or not, i am trying to find out, that way i could go up stream a little to better water.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean the very back side off of Grahm Rd? Past David Corleys house, across a couple of bridges? If it is there is some water back there and alot of buckbrush. I have duck hunted back there. I don't think they allow atv's unless handicapped and then you have to have a special permit. A guy might catch some crappie back there, I don't know.Always gave me the willy's, big powerlines popping and buzzing, guess i'm just a wuss.

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly where i looked. unless the water flushes out i might just have to let it be, or try for some cats in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Two prairies will offer some small crappie when the water warms up and the rains are in. Not really much more than that. Both can and will dry up in the heat of the summer. I have coon hunted this as well all my life.

DM - Ther are alot better waters very close to you that offer some great fishing. Most of it is shallow water (less than 10 ft.) year round, but the big ones are there.
    If you like Cypress tree lined banks, buck brush, laydowns and like to fish with about 2-4 ft of line and a jig or minnow, then you are in hog heaven in central arkansas!
    Try Cypress Creek just south of Beebe on Cypress lake rd. A 12 ft. flat bottom and a "skulling" paddle will put you into 1-1 1/4 pound crappie alot of times thru the year.
    I have several others and would l would love to share with all Crappie.com members!!!!!! I hope this helps.......
    Midsouth Tackle Pro Staff
    "Home of the Super Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

that is exactly what I am looking for. Every time I look down at the map all i see are creeks and bayous, I am trying to check them out and find out which to fish and find access that will not get me shot at. I will drive around and find that bayou this weekend if i get a chance. I think I will just drive around with the boat in the truck all spring and every ditch i come to i will have to try to fish!!!!!
    I am going to try almost anywhere you tell me is good!

Have you ever heard of Indian Head Lakes? It is past Cabot off Hwy 5 North.
    It is a pay lake but I catch ice chests full of bass and brim, but never crappie, although it looks like it should be great for them.
    Like always....THANKS for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think it is called Cypres Bayou and there is a WMA around there too. Mapquest.com showed it makes Cypres Lake, but i did not see a widening in it. I have driven past it many times and it can sure get a lot of water there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    that is exactly what I am looking for. Every time I look down at the map all i see are creeks and bayous, I am trying to check them out and find out which to fish and find access that will not get me shot at. I will drive around and find that bayou this weekend if i get a chance. I think I will just drive around with the boat in the truck all spring and every ditch i come to i will have to try to fish!!!!!
    I am going to try almost anywhere you tell me is good!

Have you ever heard of Indian Head Lakes? It is past Cabot off Hwy 5 North.
    It is a pay lake but I catch ice chests full of bass and brim, but never crappie, although it looks like it should be great for them.
    Like always....THANKS for the help
    Butler the diamond head lakes are the ones in North Little Rock that are neighborhood lakes. Think you have to be a property owner to fish them.

Post Thanks / Like

dmbutler - Be sure to take your boat with you this weekend. It is suppose to be around 60 degrees and Plum Bayou ought to be hot!

Be sure to check things out around Biscoe and Devall's Bluff. There are many White River oxbow lakes there and they offer some of the best Crappie fishing in the state.

If you hit Plum Bayou this weekend, let me know and I'll give you a few pointers. I am a frequent visitor there because of the Crappie in that thing and there are some slabs in there!
    Midsouth Tackle Pro Staff
    "Home of the Super Jig"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast