Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White River Refuge and Faulkner LAke

Post Thanks / Like

Default White River Refuge and Faulkner LAke

Anyone fish the White River Refuge lakes? I think the majority of them open in March!
    Some question for Faulkner Lake, I even have a hard time finding public access there.

Post Thanks / Like

White River Refuge is an outstanding choice for catching some slab Crappie. I have fished them during the winter months while I was there coon hunting and they produced heavy stringers.
    Faulkner lake however is not a favorite of mine. But you can access it by taking the Faulkner lake road exit and turning right, off the exit. Go behind the gas station there and follow the road all the way down till the end and you will see a "dirt path" off to the right. It's not much of a launch and will only accomadate a small flat bottom at the launch. Go under the bridge there and stay in the boat channel! Preferably with the trolling motor, go to the oppsite end of the lake and fish around the cypress trees on the left bank. Water is very clear and mossy. But there are some nice slabs there when it is right.
    I hope this helps and if I can do anything else as far as central Arkansas water is concerned, let me know.
    Midsouth Tackle Pro Staff
    "Home of the Super Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

That is great. I have never heard anyone fishing Faulkner lake but I drive by it all the time and it looks good so i was just wondering.
    I went to the
    White River Refuge about 7 years ago when I was in high school, some guys I knew went the week before i did and tore them up, i had bad weather and did not do so hot. I want to go back, I hear so many stories of slabs and ice chest full, but it is so much easier to fish local. THANKS...I cannot wait until the spring season starts. This will be my last spring here, I am moving to Connecticut this summer so I have to catch all these Arkansas Crappie now!

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the years I spent in NLR, I have not one time fished Faulkner lake, so I cant really help you there. If I was going fishing somewhere close, I would always go to the Old River. Theres not alot of monster crappie in the old river, but you can catch alot of decent sized ones. Other than that, I fished Brodie Bend some, and plum bayou some. As far as the Refuge, I can tell you that there are some awesome lakes to fish there. Theres so many lakes to choose from. If you can catch everything right, you can wear them out. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by winghunting; 02-21-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are the two spots you mentioned? It seems like you can drive down the road find a puddle of water and start fishing around here. Is there such thing as a bad spot in this state?

Post Thanks / Like

The Old River is in Scott off Hwy. 161. Brodie Bend is off the Arkansas River pretty close to England, and Plum Bayou is in the same area, off Hwy. 256. If you have one of those Arkansas Atlas's, you can find all of them pretty easy.
    Last edited by winghunting; 02-21-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Plum Bayou it looks like it gets big just south of clear lake. Where is there public access? How good is it to fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Plum bayou has two. Turn right off 256 coming out of England. Brand new signs leading the way to AGFC launches. If you are running a big motor, stay in the channel!

Outstanding place to catch plenty of Crappie and allows for some nice slabs. Very funny spot though, hard to figure out some times. Try green/chart. jigs around the dropoffs on the outer most Cypress trees and stumps. FISH SLOW!!!
    Midsouth Tackle Pro Staff
    "Home of the Super Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

The fishing on the refuge is good although I haven’t fished any of the lakes mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoxbay
    I haven’t fished any of the lakes mentioned.
    Maddox.....None of the lakes mentioned are on the refuge. Do you fish Maddox bay alot? I have only fished it a few times, but have been on it alot. I have duck hunted all over in there, and sometimes have wished I have had my fishing pole instead of my duck call. There are some good looking laked off of Maddox bay that I have been wanting to try for a long time. I imagine that the river has to be right to get to them though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast