Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got Specks?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Got Specks?

Got Specks:D?

October 2005
    Caught these a while back. Just some small ones (10 inch and 8 inch) both on 1/32 oz. pearl braid body with gray marabou tail jig. I got them just fishing around bridge pilings and rip-rap on one of many canals. Normally I fish from either my ODC 816 catamaran or from my fishing buddy's motorized canoe. I sometimes also fish from my sister and brother-in-law's 20 foot Bentley aluminum pontoon boat on Lake Jackson.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 02-20-2006 at 09:40 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Nie pic. I am a fellow canoe-er myself. Sometimes I think by paddling to troll instead of using my little trolling motor is much more effective. I was thinking maybe the slight zig-zag motion of the canoe, plus the variations in speed may offer a little different presentation than the constant motion of the troller.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, its my fishing buddy's square end motorized canoe and I just fish with him but we do use the oars when trolling. His is a Grumman aluminum and the thing makes a lot of noise if I'm not careful but he's got outdoor carpet on the bottom to deaden sound. I like my ODC 816 pontoon catamaran better for trolling and I can control the line of drift better with my oars. Its also quieter and I can drop my anchor to stop on a dime or pick it up quick.

Here are some photo links but I like my older model better with the padded seat rather than the new plastic one.

http://www.creekcompany.com/products/816-a-lr.jpg

http://www.creekcompany.com/products/816-d-lr.jpg
    Last edited by dixieangler; 02-20-2006 at 05:58 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I have never seen anything like that.Thats pretty cool.I am in a Coleman plastic canoe, and it is designed with fishing in mind(has three seats with the frront two having two holes for rod holders, but when you are by yourself, as I usually am, the wind has a field day with me, even with my battery and ten lb. barbell I use as an anchor in the back( I mount the troller up front and sit facing rear-ward).

Post Thanks / Like

Well I like it. Its really made for fly fishing as you can tell by the stripping apron with the fish measure on it. I modified mine with an anchor system, rod holder, and fishin buddy (fish finder) holder or holster. I also put my little cooler and aerated minnow bucket on the cargo deck. Works great. Only drawback is I can't cover a lot of water in it unless I row, row, row. Portable too. Fits in a car trunk when fully disassembled. Quick setup and takedown depending on how much other stuff I put on it. I don't use any motor or engine because I don't want to have to register it. It is very stable on the water. I also had to get fins (flippers). They help me manuever the cat. Aluminum frame so its less corrosive. Lifetime guarantee on non-metal parts like the pontoons, seat padding, cargo mesh, stripping apron, and plastics. Comes with a high capacity two-way air pump and a pontoon patch kit but the pontoons have several tough and thick outer and inner linings over the air bladders so it is doubtful they will ever leak. Besides, the lifetime guarantee covers the pontoons anyway.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 02-21-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"