Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carpeting for trailer bunks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carpeting for trailer bunks.

OK all fishing Guru's. I need to replace the carpeting on the bunks of my trailer I am going to also replace the boards. I am wondering what is the best material, in your opinion, to do this.

I have heard of people using outdoor carpeting, marine carpeting, and believe it or not, no carpeting at all. It is really hard to believe that you would not use carpet but I have heard of a person that used plastic 2x4's instead of treated lumber and carpet.

Please give me your opinion asap as I need to do this in the next couple of days.

Thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER!!!
    I QUIT FISHIN, I ONLY GO CATCHIN NOW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure treated wood and marine carpet is all it is .wewst marine has em already made up.good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought some bunks and carpeting from Cabela's last summer. The stuff feels great, but I havent got to use it much. Its held up just fine thus far. I would recommend it.
    Genesis 27:3

Post Thanks / Like

West marine i hit the wrong key

Post Thanks / Like

Marine grade carpet is it. I've heard that galvanized roofing nails are better and easier than staples. If you do a search on iboats.com you will find a lot of good information
    I skipped all that and layered the bunks with something called HDPE. It took a lot of planning and thinking to get it perfect though.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pressure treated 2 X 4's and marine carpet is all I've ever used. It lasts a long, long time.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    Pressure treated 2 X 4's and marine carpet is all I've ever used. It lasts a long, long time.
    X2 last forever
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys using the pressure treated wood run glass or aluminum boats? I've always read that pressure treated wood will react with aluminum hulls. I wasn't sure if the carpeting would be enough protection between the wood and hull or not. I'm fixing to replace my bunk boards as well and was wondering if pressure treated would be ok to use on a painted aluminum hull.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used P T wood on an old flat bottom for years and haven't had any trouble yet.
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wonder if that's what happened to my Lowe?

Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    Do you guys using the pressure treated wood run glass or aluminum boats? I've always read that pressure treated wood will react with aluminum hulls. I wasn't sure if the carpeting would be enough protection between the wood and hull or not. I'm fixing to replace my bunk boards as well and was wondering if pressure treated would be ok to use on a painted aluminum hull.
    I replaced my Lowe's 1860 rotted bunks with new treated 2x4s and marine grade carpet. Soon after that I noticed a hard, white barnacle like growth appearing on areas where paint was scratched. Tough stuff, had to scrape it off frequently with plastic scraper. I thought it may have been a problem with the motor's sacrificial anode. Or was it the treated wood causing a reaction?
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast